1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chrisrich, Feb 19, 2005.

1. chrisrich

chrisrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone run an "Abit ATI Radeon 9600XT 8xAGP 256MB DVI-I TV-Out" card on a sharp ga4 or another display where the EDID is set below the screens native resolution.

I am trying to find out if this card will ignore the EDID allowing me to output a higher resolution.

I'm possibly being slightly parinoid but I've just wasted £40 on a gforce 5200 fx and could do with not wasting another £80.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Did you try Powerstrip to force the resolution? Sometimes it works it seems even with broken EDIDs.

3. chrisrich

chrisrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried everything :) brought a 9550 Radeon card from Maplins today all works fine. The Nvidia drivers just lock on to the EDID and if you specify a res over what it thinks the monitor is capable of then it just scrolls the screen. From reading a couple of Nvidia forums they have been on about fixing this for quite a while but havn't bothered (I think there are a few cards that work now something to do with an external timer I think, hard to remember what I was reading at 3:00 in the morning last night :) Anyway cheers for replying.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not familiar with your Sharp, presuably a pj?

What is it's native resolution? I spent weeks trying to get 1:1 pixel mapping with my Sony HS20. It's res was 1366x768 but it reported it as 1024x768.

If yours is the same you could do what I did and search for some help.

Basically it does require powerstrip, at least to get it working. You may need a fresh install too, if youve had lots of different graphic cards.

The ATIs are the best for this sort of thing. I gave up with the FX5200 that I had.

I have it working now with my 9600SE.

Dave