1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick question...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr Cat, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    this is I guess for either Bruce Hall or Hayes...

ok, I've got the CHT-10r which is a top sub - recently I've just used the 4 plastic cones that came with it - it sounds much better for films that it does music, tho when I play CDs it does seem to go down to a lower frequency, but it's not as tight....this kinda leads me to think that I could get better sound from it...

this is my setup -
    details of my kit are in my signature, but the configuration is that when I play dvds I have the Nad and Yammy amps connected together with the Nad driving my main speakers, and the yammy driving the rest...this works very well as I only have to use the yammy remote to control the volume (and of course the velodyne remote to control the sub!)

when I want to play CDs - I disconnect the amps and plug the sub into my nad (see http://207.228.230.231/manual/NAD-C350.pdf for more info) in the the pre-out 1 (L) on the amp and the LFE phono on the sub...

is this the best way to connect the sub to my Nad..??
    I've tried using a sub cable splitter (this one - http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/XFA08-Y1F.html)

I've got a concrete floor with a carpet on it...

cheers

2. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

The first thing I notice is that you will only get half the bass being connected to the left channel only. I assume that you are using the splitter to go out left and right to the single phone and plug that into your sub cable.

I will have a think about other issues that might contribute.

regards

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    hi, I sold the splitter on now - as it didn't make any differece at all, in fact it made the bass very muddy, I tried it on both ends - i.e. on the sub and at the amp...wasn't happy at all...

what kind of different would it make if I used the speaker level connections..?

cheer again

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Try it! you can't beat experimentation.

Also have you tried moving the sub to another wall or corner, also the orientation i.e facing the wall/corner etc. Have a play I think you might be quite suprised with the results.

Regards

5. Curt Chisholm

Curt Chisholm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mr. Cat,
    You should run both outputs (L&R) of your NAD into both inputs (L&R) of the subwoofer. And yes you may need to try different locations.
    Cheers,
    Curt (Velodyne Acoustics)

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL!! As Curt says for HiFi setup you want to run both L&R from amp to sub, or run a speaker line connection: speaker output of amp, to speaker input on sub out to speakers themeselves. But this is useless for movies which would want a direct LFE connection from the Yammy.

However the constant rewiring will be a pain in the backside and is really unecessary. I would keep the setup as is for home cinema. The quality of the NADs amplifiers is not carried over to the sub at all. Gives a more musical sound to your front pair, but only really sends the Velodyne a different type of signal. Doesn't make it any better.

Try setting front speakers to small (on Yamaha) to send more bass through the sub. Tweak further using crossover settings on both amp and sub. For your scenario it's better to leave more of the crossover work to the sub so that it can be easily changed. You will likely find yourself needing separate settings for CD and movie - use the memories and remote control the CHT-R comes with, that's what it's there for!!!