1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jinky32, Oct 20, 2004.

1. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have a A7N266-VM Asus motherboard with an S/PDIF socket. I would like to be able to play the mp3 on my pc through my denon 3300 avr.

The denon has a number of optical sockets, so it just a case of connecting the two via an optical cable?

Are there changes I will have to make on my mobo to get sounds output through the S/PDIF - would I do this through the BIOS?

Thanks.

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you just connect the SPDIF out to the amp.

There should be a software utility which came with the motherboard support disc (otherwise downloadable from ASUS) with which to configure audio in Windows. There will be a setting somewhere in that utility to enable SPDIF, if necessary.

3. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    good god i've had troubles with this this evening! Driver for a spdif was faulty. Luckily updating with latest drivers and other downloads has sorted the problem and given me a nice new nvidea interface.

4. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi, am still having troubles with this. does anyone know which optical onth denon i have to enable to get a pc to play through it? I have optical 1 to tv, optical 2 to dvd. my remaining options are cd, vdp, vcr-1, vcr-2/aux.

i assume its the latter but it deosn't seem to want to know.

i still suspect mymobo to be honest. thinking about the joyous simplicity of 3.5mm to phono.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    On my Denon 3803 the inputs are assignable to whichever input you want, the designations like 'TV', 'DVD' etc. are simply for convenience .. for example my PC is connected to the input calling itself 'DBS' :)

I'd try temporarily replacing, say, your DVD connection with your PC, since you know the DVD one works then if you don't hear anything you'll know it's the PC .. there's nothing different about the PC's SPD/IF output from a DVD etc., at least as far as I've ever seen.

6. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks mate. I don't actually know 100% that dvd and tv do work yet. am in the middle of a house move and wont get to check it out for a day or so. i'll definitely try your suggestion - seems emminently sensible!