Quick question SONY or PIONEER freeview box ??

F

foxmeister

Over the next few days I plan on buying a freeview box to replace Sky.
It will be connected to my amplifier using s-video then through to my Plasma.
Can't decide whether to go for the Sony VTX-D800U or the Pioneer DBR-TFR100GB .... !!!
Picture quality is paramount, could anyone help please.
Thanks for looking .. Foxy.

Both are very good - but reviews have suggested that the Sony just pips the Pioneer on image quality. (hence me getting the Sony unit .... :D )

PIONEER

Never had a problem with it.

Great pic quality
RGB AND S-Video SCART
Fast Digital Text
Timer
Remote that controls any most TVs (VERY useful)
Downloads Firmware in the middle o the night
Screen grab facility (sure this will come in useful one day)

Just to give you an equal comparison - the Sony does all the pioneer does (on the list that Kevo wrote) but also adds an optical digital out which I think (I'm not positive though..) the pioneer doesn't have. Of course it's only a two channel bitstream (PCM) but if you're linking to an AV AMP then might as well go digital processing as far as you can before analogue conversion. The other plus is they 'might' broadcast in 5.1 one day and a firmware upgrade is all that is needed but I'm not holding my breath ...

Simon - thanks for that - I stand corrected !

I guess they are pretty much equal then - only choice now is to choose which brand name looks best in your AV cabinet and what colour/style matches the rest of your kit ! (the Sony can be vertically mounted if that is of any use to you ?)

Surely there is a price consideration? I think, in most places you look, the Sony is at least £20 dearer then the Pioneer. I have to say, the problem I have with my Pioneer could well be a one off, and that wouldn't stop me recommending it. Great PQ, and the added advantage of S-Video out, which I'm not sure if the Sony has.

Teeerex said:
Just to give you an equal comparison - the Sony does all the pioneer does (on the list that Kevo wrote)

Not quite.

I'm pretty sure that the Sony doesn't have S-Video out on the VCR SCART, which is essential if you want to use RGB SCART to the TV and S-video to a SVHS VCR (which is what I have and swayed me towards the Pioneer).

And YES the Pioneer DOES have optical audio out so is 'future proof' as far as 5.1 broadcasts go.

Kevo said:
I'm pretty sure that the Sony doesn't have S-Video out on the VCR SCART, which is essential if you want to use RGB SCART to the TV and S-video to a SVHS VCR.
...or, indeed, a DVDR, if you have one which won't accept an RGB input.

... such as the Pioneer DVDR for example (new models do have RGB in I believe) ... :laugh:

(sorry - couldn't resist that one !)

I'm no Sony fanboy btw - I have a Sony Freeview, Panasonic TV and DVDR and Yamaha AV amp so I generally go with the best unit for the price - got the freeview as a Xmas pressie so didn't have a lot of choice there ...

Kevo - you are correct about the VCR output not being S-Video, just tried it and it's for the TV Output only...

The JVC DR-M1 DVDR doesn't accept an RGB input either, nor do the Toshiba models, as far as I am aware. Hopefully all new models will incorporate RGB input, as it is an essential requirement, if you want to get the best out of the machine, in my opinion.

Correct, I've got a Tosh RDXS30 but this doesn't have RGB in but does have S-Video; as far as I'm aware the new RDXS32 will have RGB in and prog out. I'm currently using the Nokia 221 which to be fair is total :censored: ; the PQ is great as is the optical out but it crashes about three or four times per week and since the advent of TUTV the now/next function rarely works..........................becomming increasingly tempted to call it quits and get the sony. However, the sony doesn't have the ability to receive TUTV (no slot).

Cheers all

I had two Humax's (F2-FoxT, I think), but they were both faulty. They do, however, have S-Video Out, and are compatible with the 7 day EGP, when it arrives. I then got the Pioneer, which crashed (a software fault, I believe), and have also had a Nokia 221T, which crashed after 2 hours use (you could almost set your clock by it!), so now I have a Pace (the cheap one from Argos), and my original Nokia On Digital box, neither of which output S-Video, but at least my Sony GX3 accepts RGB in. To be honest, I can't tell that much difference between recordings made on the Sony, in RGB, and on the JVC DR-M1, in Composite, so until something breaks down again, I won't be upgrading for a while.

The sony can output S-Video down the VCR SCART if you have a Smartlink S-VHS VCR, which is a bit rubbish as many people dont. Hopefully they will add a configuration option in a later update.

Another plus for the sony is the timer function with smartlink or Q-link it saves setting the timer on the vcr works fine on my old panasonic vcr

Thanks for the great response everyone, even though I've still not decided which one !! Pioneer is £71 at Richer Sounds, Sony is on average £100.

I've put an entry on the Plasma discussion to see whether anyone knows whether the picture quality will be better if I use the S-Video out on these boxes rather that use the Rgb to S-Video convertor that I currently use with my existing sky box, anyone any ideas ??

Thanks again, Foxy ..

Ive got the Pioneer, top box IMO. I've used the Sony as well, again an excellent box. Sony are very proactive about firmware updates, Pioneer hasn't said much yet other than 7 day EPG support when its in use. The Sony supports it already if you live in a test area. One neat feature on the last Sony firmware is you can delete channels e.g TopUpTV so you can channel flick better ! Also kids don't complain you don't have Cartoon network :)

Is that an 'absolute' with the Sony box and s-video? :thumbsdow

Owning the matching HTK-250 receiver, I was all set to order the 800U tomorrow. For now, I'll be connecting to a PC via the s-video input of a TV card and so, need that output option.

Aaargh, it's been a little difficult finding information; but that's the first time that I've read about an except under certain circumstances :eek: lack of s-video.

Oh, whilst I'm here, could anyone confirm the presence of digital out and that it is optical, please? I have frequently read of digital out on the Sony, but can't be certain from looking at even the best picture that I have seen. Is it the little 'thing' near the PSU cable and 'TV' SCART socket (next to the circle with an arrow)?

Back to the drawing board... :beer:

It has digital optical out it is where you say and also doubles as an analogue out put using a3.5mm jack

Thank you, jaymac :thumbsup:

Shame that the aforementioned 'drawing board' has now returned me to the idea of putting a Nebula card into my PC... :rolleyes: :laugh:

I'm still undecided at this point and quickly swaying toward the PCI card (cleaner recording/transfer, as no capture is involved) - though it's good to finally have an answer regarding the optical/analogue output :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom