1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Question re: PC connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Marmite, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Am basically about to purchase an AV amp and Canton CD1 set :clap:

The amp im leaning towards at the moment is the Yamaha RXV657. I just have one query though.

I have all my music stored on my PC and at the moment i have this hooked up to an old hifi via the phono port on the PC and the red and white connections on the back of the Hifi. I would like to connect the amp to my pc and play the PC sound through this (am eventually going to buy floorstanders as well for better stereo sound), so how can i do this on the cheap? Will i just be able to use the same lead i have now?

Im thinking maybe im being a bit stupid on this one, but if someone could just set me straight it woudl put my mind at rest before shelling out 300 quid!

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    If your pc has a digital out (optical or co-axial) then consider using this to connect to the amp. Onterwise your normal connection method will work fine.

3. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    You can use the same leads as you use now. The handbook does not show the presence of SPDIF or any equivalent way of getting a digital signal from this pc.

5. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok cheers :)

6. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Creative also do a number of usb 1 and 2 soundcards with many connections usualy including optical and co-axial digital.

8. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What you need is some network connectable device. That may be your receiver, or alternatively some other device like a sat receiver or DVD recorder or maybe even a game console. As long as it has an ethernet interface and allows you to use the connection to stream media from a PC to that device. Then connect that device to your amp and voila you have fully digital audio, from MP3 right until the amp.

I currently use an Xbox w/Evox and Media Center to watch movies/photo's and listen to audio which is all stored on the PC. The Xbox is obviously connected to my stereo kit (SP/DIF).

The advantage of such a setup is that eventually your game console/sat receiver/whichever you choose can also stream directly from the internet and thus you have internet TV rather than be dependent on cable tv providers and such.