1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Question re: Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by alastair, Jun 8, 2004.

1. alastair

alastair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long should i charge my Pentax Optio S4 battery for the first time, the normal 12 hours or just until full?

Tahnks

Alastair

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The first charge of any battery should be for at least 12 hours. If you stop after the charger says the battery is full you will not get the best out of your battery and could even shorten the life of the batery permanently.
    Stick it on charge overnight and forget it till the morning.

Mark.

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Pentax Optio S manual does not recommend a time. Also, I underdsand that the charger does not trickle charge, and Pentax recommend removing the battery from the charger once it is charged (after 100 minutes from flat)

The last 5 electronic devices that I have bought, do not mention anything about a 12-14 hour intitial charge. So I can not see any benefit from charging for 14 hours if the manufacturer does not ask you to, nor if the charger switches off after the battery is charged.

However, shop assistants (particularly from mobile phone shops) seem to always tell you to charge for 14 hours initially.