quick question: please help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Shadow Jam, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Shadow Jam

Shadow Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok just got my z2... nice and lovely, spent half an hour setting it up and finally managed to get it running my ps2 signal (in colour)

then im confronted with a problem. where is the volume?

i know it doesnt have an internal speaker but it never occured to me it wouldnt have a fitting for speakers itself... my ps2 doesnt, nor does my dvd player...

am i just being stupid or am i gonna have to go buy a new dvd player or seomthing?

2. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Most home cinema projectors dont have internal speakers as they are just don't do any justice to the big picture.

Your PS2 has a Digital TOS link output to go into an amplifer doesnt it?

EDIT: You should get a 5.1 Amp or something to drive the sound for DVD/Playstation/Cable and Sky etc or use a PC and its speakers (line in) for the sound.

3. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    there is no audio circuitry in most projectors , audio has to come through an amplifier of some description. Mike

4. Shadow Jam

Shadow Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    without sounding stupid what the heck is an amp... i was just planning on using my pc speakers, which have headphone connectors

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    er, an amp is what amplifiers the signal so normal hifi speakers can play the sounds..

if you want to use PC speakers that use a 3.5mm input then you need to get a stereo RCA to 3.5mm cable (dixons do them in their JVC range) and plug from the stereo output of the PS2 (i assume the PS2 has a normal stereo output, as in red and white sockets)

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    or if the PS2 has a 3.5mm headphone output socket, then just get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.....not sure if the JVC range in dixons does that, you should be able to get one from www.maplin.co.uk tho....

7. Shadow Jam

Shadow Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont believe the ps2 has any output sockets for sound... not mine at least which is the fat version...

the only sockets i see are a little square one at the front and two rectangular ones undeneath

8. Shadow Jam

Shadow Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so i just went and got a dvd with audio output, the only thing is i get home to find out that the audio output seems to be for a rgb sized cable, though i thought rgb cables weren't for audio...

i swear to god this is never gonna get fixed...

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    when you say RGB output, i take it you mean a Scart socket?.....

on the back of the DVD player there should be a pair of little plugs, one red, one white, labelled L and R or Left and Right Audio........those use a stereo RCA cable to connect to a hifi.....but if u want to connect to computer speakers that use a 3.5mm input, then you need to buy a 'stereo RCA to 3.5mm jack' cable........OR if the DVD player has a headphone socket, get a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack cable and use that (the DVD players headphone socket may be 1/4in size, if so you need to buy a 1/4in to 3.5mm adaptor as well)

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if it doesnt have those red and white sockets on the back or a headphone socket on the front or back, then if it uses Scart, try buying a Scart cable that ONLY carries sound......it will be Scart plug one end, the other end will just be stereo RCA (usually Red and White plug, like a thick pin you could say)..........then get a 'twin female RCA to 3.5mm adaptor cable' to convert it to the right kind of input for the computer speakers....

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    btw, if my advice hasnt helped, i would suggest the easiest thing you do is take the DVD player and your computer speakers in to a hifi shop and ask them how you can get sound from DVD player to speakers while watching a film on your projector.....it may be a bit cumbersome, but at least they will then be able to tell you exactly what you need as they can see the equipment...