Quick question on VGA and Tosh 32WL48

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Deep-6, Feb 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all, I hope someone can help.

Can any owners of the 32WL48 tell whether any resolutions other than the max supported resolution of 1024x768 can be accessed through the screen's vga input? I just picked up a second hand ati 9800 pro video card and can finally play the windows media HD demos with no stuttering! I'd like to hook up the pc to the screen via a vga cable (do not have a dvi->hdmi cable yet)

Can I get the screen to display any of the widescreen resolutions via vga? or even with a dvi -> hdmi cable (the screen has a hdmi input also)

Thanks for your time!

2. phibsboro

phibsboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

See other posts that mention this. Basically, VGA will only give the 1024x768 while HDMI will give a widescreen (tho still not native) 1280x720.

In my experience, VGA is the way to go - I run mythtv using xine for dvix and dvd output. There is a way of making xine output 16:9 to a 4:3 resolution. Then all you do is push the TV into widescreen mode and it all looks fine. So your computer is still outputing at 1024x768 but the TV is stretching it out to widescreen (using the full native res) and u need to get your apps (like xine) to compensate accordly. All looks great in the end (actually best dvd picture ive ever seen, but im not one for expensive dvd players).

HDMI is another kettle of fish - it will take a widescreen res (1280x720) but my experience was that the picture was DREADFUL. Really, really grainy - just all round poor quality. Shocked me really. I was using an FX5200 with DVI/HDMI cable under windows with latest nvidia drivers. If anyone else has any better experience of driving the hmdi connection from a PC speak up now :)

Cheers,
    C

3. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Phibsboro, thanks for replying. I did a google after reading your post. Xine is a linux player, is that correct? And there is a command line switch to compensate for 1024x768 output stretched to a 16:9 ratio. Sounds fancy!

Is there any similar software for Windows/Windows Media Player? So far my googling hasn't turned up much!

Hope you can help again!

Thank you!

4. erwinb

erwinb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 26WL46, which actually native support is indeed 1280x720. With DVI I can't get my Radeon 9700 Pro AIW to work. With D-sub/VGA I can.

It seems based on other threads that the DVI capabilities of many LCD TV's are more or less broken.

As an example I couldn't get my Radeon videocard to work with the Toshiba, but I could get my nvidia 6800GT to work. However something in the DVI signal spoils my fun as I can't adjust the desktop while using DVI.

I've ordered one of these: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378, to see if I can get it working.

I'll let you know once I get it.

Erwin