Quick question on recording HD

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
I think I know the answer already, but here goes.

Is there any way to save a HD broadcast (for example a film in HD watched on my SKY HD box) to a computer film like MKV, so I can keep it forever to play on my Media Player?

I know there's some sort of box (Humanex?) but I'm not sure the quality is good and it looks clunky and expensive.

I notice a few HDD recorders have a USB port for extra storage - could this be utilised? Similarly I think some TVs now have a record facility. Can you only play the file back on the machine from which it was recorded?

Cheers.

Steve W

I think I know the answer already, but here goes.

Is there any way to save a HD broadcast (for example a film in HD watched on my SKY HD box) to a computer film like MKV, so I can keep it forever to play on my Media Player?

I know there's some sort of box (Humanex?) but I'm not sure the quality is good and it looks clunky and expensive.

I notice a few HDD recorders have a USB port for extra storage - could this be utilised? Similarly I think some TVs now have a record facility. Can you only play the file back on the machine from which it was recorded?

Cheers.

Steve W

Hi Steve..

I have lamented before on the restrictions that Sky have placed on their system. There is no HD output from the box, except via HDMI, and that, as the forum explains, is a protected system.

I have copied Sky programs, noteably HD and SD films via the Sky box Scart output to my DMR-BWT735B via its AV input. I am surprised - it's not HD, but on my Sony Bravia 46" it is good enough.

The difference is noticeable when viewing a HD film recorded, say, from a Freeview HD channel, but viewing these SD recordings is pretty good.

For example - I'm a fan of 'Terra Nova', and I have transferred the recordings to the DMR-BWT735B. I haven't got around to transferring them to BD -R yet, but they are pretty good.

I'm hoping that FOX may someday repeat them on a HD channel. The HD channels are increasing in numbers - so a decent Freeeview HD recorder is essential, IMO.

Things can only get better.

Regards
Bill

What surprises me is that it's an absolute piece of cake for me to rip one of my full fat 1080p/24 DTS-MA Blu-ray Discs for my media player, and yet no one has found a simple way to similarly rip a low bit rate 1080i/50 Dolby Digital Sky broadcast.

Steve W

maybe that is because those "in the know" use third party satellite boxes like vu or dream and transfer by ethernet to pc or to laptop ;)

check the sat forums here

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom