Quick question if I may .......

JimboSE

Established Member
Reaction score
As you may all have seen in my earlier post "Back in the game" I have just got back into the world of hifi separates,now my quick question is I have a Nad C 320bee amp with a LENCO L85 Turntable with Q Acoustics 3010 speakers and I think it sounds fab,now this very afternoon I added a Google Chromecast Audio for streaming connected with the RCA adaptor as my amp does not have optical in,the Chromecast sounds great but not quite as good as my Turntable,would having it go through a separate DAC improve it somewhat or would that be a waste on my budget set up ??????????
Thanks if you read this and comment as that's most kind.

A lot of people reckon the DAC in the Chromecast is pretty good.A lot say it's crap and needs improvement. I myself found the sound quality to be better when I optically fed it to my marantz optical in.

However there is a setting called high dynamic range (I think) in the Google home app. This makes a difference to sound quality. If it's not already on turn it on and see then if the improvement makes it as good as you need

A separate DAC may improve the sound quality, over the DAC that is in the Chromecast Audio. Although the Chromecast does have a highly regarded internal DAC.

It may be the source files that you are listening to - try and go for lossless if you can, as mp3 files are very compressed and will not sound so good.

Thank you all so kindly for your help,i think i may I may have worked out why it didn't sound too great, one of the RCA leads was not quite in properly,now that's done and i have turned on the Dynamic Range and its so much better so all in all I'm a happy chappy.
Thanks again kind people.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom