1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question for Monitor Audio GR20 owners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Timmy C, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I'm awaiting delivery on a pair of GR20's and just want to check how high up the back of the cabinet the speaker terminals are. I'm using 8i's at the monent and the terminals are near the bottom and my cable only just reaches so if they're higher up on the GR20's then I'd like to lay new cable before they arrive.

If anyone could take a rough measurment (inc. plinths/spikes) I would very much appreciate it. Also interested to know peoples thoughts on how close to the wall you can get away with putting them without ruining the sound.

Cheers

2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Appprox. 50cm to the middle of the terminal.

I have them around 80cm fom the wall and they sound great. Can't try them any closer at the moment.

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mine are no more than 50cm from the wall and sound great.

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Thanks guys. Looks like I'm gonna have to take up the carpet lay a new run of cable in preperation for them. I hope they're worth it!!!

5. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    You won't regret the purchase, they are fantastic.

Just give them a long long run in, before making a decision. I read that MA recommend reversing the wiring in one speaker and placing the two speakers facing each other and almost touching, as a way to speed the run in process.

Let us know how you find them

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I bought a second hand pair so they should be run in already although they look new and I know MA running in times are high so there may still be an improvement with time. I'll let you know how I get on.

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Finally got them up and running and to be honest I think I've made a mistake buying them! The treble is better than any speakers I've owned and there's no shortage of bass but the midrange seems quite dull compared to my old Silver 8i's. I listen to a lot of guitar based music (punk,rock etc.) and the guitars don't seem to have the attack I'm used to from my old speakers.

Anyone else found this with GR20's ? Do you think a change of cable or interconnects might help or do I have to continue my never ending search for the right speakers!

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    What are you using for amplification? The GR20s are not hugely difficult loads but do benefit from a lot of power to get the best out of them. I would reommend soemthing like the Muscial Fidelity A5 Pre and power or the new Arcam C31 and a pair of P1 monoblocks to start with.

9. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Try giving them a long run in, it may improve things. Mine appear to take around 8 - 9 tracks to run in each time i use them.

10. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    p.s.

The reason i didn't buy the Silver 8i's where that i found the midrange was terrible.

Not sure why you are having these problems.

My amp is the Arcam FMJ A32 and i don't have any problems.

11. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I'm using an Arcam C30/P25/P35 and a CD23 at the moment which I thought would work well!

I will live with them over the weekend then try my 8i's again and see how I feel after that.

12. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Don't want to say too much yet but my opinion on the GR20's is rapidly changing. I feel I should mention this just in case anyone read my earlier post and was put off buying a pair!

I'm gonna re connect my 8i's after the weekend but I somehow don't think I'll be going back to them!

13. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Great news. They do seem to take some warming up.

Can't wait to hear what you think when you switch back, please post your thoughts.

Out of interest, if you get time can you tell me what difference (if any) you get from biamping them. I am really tempted to add a P35.

Enjoy

14. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    My P35 has a fault so will probably be going back to Arcam so I'll be running them with just the P25 for a while. When the P35 comes back I'll let you know what improvements I notice.

15. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    OK, please ignore any negative comment I made in this post. The GR20's are fantastic! I know new speakers need to be well run in but I bought these used from a guy in Ireland and they have apparently had plenty of use. They were delivered by post so all I can say is they must have been suffering from some kind of travel sickness when I first tried them as I would now say they are by far the best speakers I've ever owned! The midrange seems to have sorted itself out and even the bass seems to have become more controlled. I've even had one or two comments from my non hifi minded friends who didn't even notice I had new speakers 'till the sound came out of them!

I would urge anyone looking at speakers in this price range to give them a serious listen. That said, I still think the Silver 8i's that I had before are great. I gave them another go today and although they don't come close to the GR20's they still sound great for speakers that cost less than half as much.

I guess what I'm really saying is if you're looking to buy new speakers then try Monitor Audio as they make great speakers no matter what your budget is!

16. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    I have always suspected that speakers suffer from 'travel sickness'. For the reason that if they didn't, why don't manufacturers run the speakers in before selling them. This would help in sales (would you have purchased the GR20's based on the original sound).

Why this is the case, i don't know.

Glad the speakers lived up to your expectations.

17. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Well this is one of the reasons I don't always demo stuff. If I had heard the GR20's in a demo sounding as they did when I first set them up I would not have bought them and probably would never try them again! Before all you dealers start making a fuss, I'm not saying having a demo is a waste of time but I believe a bad demo is worse than no demo at all and unfortunately I've not had that many good experiences!