Quick question for any sparkies out there...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SanPedro, Jun 9, 2015.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I'm getting a property built that will consist of a main house plus holiday let, all within the same building.

Is it possible to design the circuits in such a way that the holiday flat could, in the future, be metered separately? This would be a necessity if we sell the flat as a stand alone property.

So that at the point of entry into the house you would essentially have two circuits that could be connected to the same meter and consumer unit and then at a future date switch one circuit over to a new meter and consumer unit?

And is it possible to measure the usage on the holiday flat whilst still part of the main house? ie is it possible to insert some kind of meter to measure how much the holiday flat is consuming. For longer term lets I'd like to bill separately for untilities.

2. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +817
    You could start with a single consumer unit but it would need to have enough connections for all of the circuits. Probably be much easier to start with two, possibly smaller and cheaper, CUs each dedicated to one dwelling, connected to the single meter (if the meter is not conveniently sited for both dwellings, make sure the slave CU is in the second dwelling and is connected with sufficient capacity cable - actually the CUs should either be in the relevant dwelling or in a communal area).

Those energy usage monitors that sense from a collar around the cable should give a guide to the power consumed on either CU.

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Thanks... yes that makes total sense. I'm sure we can set the separete CUs in a lobby or within each house. The meter(s) will be sited externally so I guess if we simply make space and wiring ready for a 2nd meter as and when required.

One other question... is it much more expensive to wire up 2 houses separately like this (excluding the extra consumer unit)?. It will be a complete new build.

The other issue is that I want to keep the heating/cooling separate. The main house will most likely have an underfloor heating/cooling system (I forgot to mention the property is in Spain). The holiday part will most likely have reverse aircon units.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,339
    Not a sparkie but I would imagine the extra cost of wiring them up separately now will be trivial and vastly less than the cost of doing it properly at a later date. But as it's in Spain I'd get some local advice, as you may not be able to do it like that depending on local regs.