Quick question for an electrician if possible

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have an ongoing application for 2 new electricity supplies to some properties we are working on, I have to fill out a connection card for each (Im assuming this isn't specific to Northern Ireland)

Our electrician isn't contactable today but there is 2 questions we cant answer without him so I thought I would try my luck on here

System classification - the options are:
TN-C-S
TN-S
TT

Protective Device - the options are:
Residual current device (RCD) fitted
Residual current breaker with overcurrent (RCBO) fitted.

Each property is a fairly average sized 1 bedroom flat and each is having a fresh supply installed seperate from each other. Based on that information, is there an obvious answer to these questions or is it impossible to say without more info?

You may be surprised to know I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing...lol

Thanks

What is the killer reason not to wait and fill it in tomorrow when you can ask the guy doing it? :)

Mainly because tomorrow never comes with half these tradesmen over here. We've left a few messages but not heard back yet.

We have been quite hands off, our builders have project managed everything and dealt with the various other tradesmen. The electric board quote a 4-6 week wait to get it sorted, but also told us if a window opens they might suddenly be ready to go at short notice. We just want to make sure we have all our part in order so no delays are down to us.

If they are not obvious questions then ill have to wait until we can make contact - I'm hoping an electrician would be able to say "Well it could only possibly be that choice based on the property"

Several of the questions we are having to answer are more applicable to situations where for example 10 new houses have been built and are all getting connected. It seems the same form is used regardless of it being an entirely new estate of houses, or just a couple of smallish flats.

Well the first is the earthing classification, and I don't think there is an obvious answer without asking your electrician. Similarly without knowing what fusebox he's fitting either of the two protective device options could be applicable.

We’d need to see a photo of the cut out (main fuse holder) to be able to say which earthing system is used.
Same for the consumer unit. Unless that is due to be upgraded, then you’d need to check with your electrician. I suspect you could answer either on that one though it wouldn’t make a difference.

Where are the properties based at Tony?

Thanks for the replies, will have to wait on the electrician - or replace him if he doesn't reply soon

Sorry Tony have been flat out

It will be on the quote you got from NIE, think its in the T&C.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom