1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question dvi-vga cable!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sapkan, Oct 17, 2005.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am having cables built into my wall tomorrow so would need a quick answer. Please tell me which would be a better way (Picture quality wise) to hook up my computer to a 32" LCD: a 10m S-video to S-video cable or a 10m VGA to DVI cable? :lease: help

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    What type of DVI input does the LCD have?
    If it is a DVI-D (digital only) input then a VGA to DVI lead wont work as VGA is analogue only.
    If it is a DVI-I (analogue & digital) input then IMO VGA should give a better picture than S-Video.

Mark.

3. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine is DVI-D. I think most modern displays would have that variety wouldnt they?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello sapkan

You need to know what type of Input/Output connections you have on your Source and Display - before you start burying cables in walls.

I'd also advocate that you test whatever cable(s) you purchase before you bury them in your walls.

If you have a DVI-D Output on your Graphics Card and a DVI-D Input on your Displays then a DVI (Dual or Single link) cable will be ideal.

If you have a VGA Output on your graphics card and a DVI-D Input on your Display then you require a long VGA cable plus a converter from Analogue RGBHV to Digital RGBVH; see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310

S-Video is never going to look that great used as a connection between a PC and a PC Displays - the image has to be down scaled so much to go over the S-Video cable it ends up looking pretty poor.

Dig out the user manuals for your kit or post make and model numbers and I'm sure someone on AVForums will do the homework for you :)

Best regards

Joe

5. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Joe, I still have to confirm whether my monitor has DVI-I or D. If it is the I variety and my video card can ouput I as well would that still be better than S video?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, DVI in any format will be better than S-Video.
    If your graphics card is VGA only then you need the analogue input on the display (DVI-I), or a converter as suggested by Joe. If you have a DVI output on the graphics card then AFAIK it will be DVI-I and therefore have both digital & analogue video carried within the DVI lead.

Mark.

7. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The best explanation on the topic I managed to find so far:

This is a relatively new interface designed by the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG). Two main configurations exist: DVI-D for digital signals only, and DVI-I (integrated) for both analogue and digital signals. The majority of graphics cards use DVI-I ports and can be coupled with an LCD that has a DVI-D or DVI-I port for a pure digital-to-digital direct signal. If your graphics card only has a D-SUB port, then you need an analogue to DVI cable or a D-SUB-to-DVI converter (dongle) and an LCD monitor with a DVI-I port. In this case, you’re monitor still has to convert the analogue signal into a digital one with a resulting loss in quality.