Quick question - Connection/Set up Sony DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pixies, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Pixies

Pixies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would someone be able to help please?
    I am currently trying to connect/set up my new Sony RDR-GXD500. After having followed the connection instructions, the user's manual tells me that after connecting the recorder to the main leads, "you must wait for a short while before operating the recorder", once the front panel display lights up and the recorder enters standby mode

Now the front panel display has lit, but for the past 45 minutes, it is incrementing some numbers - I am now at 0:51. No sign of standby mode

Has anyone experienced that with Sony and should I wait longer before using it?

Many thanks!

2. handyandy

handyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have had no problems setting up my GXD500. When you switch it on for the first time you should get the auto set up on you TV. Make sure it is connected to your TV with either a scart lead or the composite outputs. The component output is initially turned off. The 0:51 is the current time (this is standby mode) so it sound like it hasn't run set up (you can force it to start this in the menus) or it is not getting a signal from the aerial.

All I can suggest is that you switch it on and run setup from the menu if it doesn't run setup when you switch it on.

Hope this helps.

3. Pixies

Pixies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I have followed your advice and am now setting it up. Sorry, I have another daft question - when asking which type of signal, which one is advisable (video, S-Video or RGB). I do not know the difference - I am linking the recorder to a Sony iDTV
    Thanks again

4. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all i can tell you is that rgb is better . when i asked simalar question i was adviced to use rgb settings

5. handyandy

handyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear you have got it going! RGB will give you better picture quality but you need to make sure your tv can handle it. Do you know the model number of your tv (actually there are not many tvs that won't handle RGB signals these days)? You will need to connect with a proper scart lead for this, not the composite lead that comes with the gxd500. Also if your TV has more than one scart socket check which one is RGB - not all of them are!Next best is S-video and then video.

6. Pixies

Pixies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks handyandy for the assistance. My tv is the Sony KD 28DL10 U, I am using a new scart I bought this afternoon (and not the cable provided) and looking at my tv's manual, it says the scart lead I have used (#1) includes audio/video input, RGB input, TV audio/video output
    So I will follow your advice and select RGB for best quality. I suppose that by selecting RGB, one's lose SmartLink is not an issue
    Thanks v. much for your help again

7. handyandy

handyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you do lose smartlink when you use RGB. I don't have smartlink and it is no real problem. I think it is more important to have the better picture quality.

Glad you are up and running!

8. Pixies

Pixies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I am up and running now so I am very grateful for helping me! I might need further help in the next few days!!

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Are you sure it wasn't 51 minutes :) For recording from Freeview the GXD500 is an excellent DVD recorder - I am using one myself - but I suggest using the manual timer for programmes you want to archive as the EPG tends to miss a few seconds here and there (the channels fault not the Sony).

10. Pixies

Pixies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, your review of the GXD500 posted on this forum helped me a lot in choosing this recorder.
    I have got another issue : I can't seem to be able to get rid of the sound coming from the recorder's tuner when switching to the TV. For instance, if I leave the recorder switched on BBC4, when using the TV/DVD button on the remote to switch to the TV tuner, I still get to hear BBC4's sound even if watching ITV2 on TV tuner. I am verifying all the connections, but if you or anyone else know the reason, I would be please to hear. I haven't tried recording yet (maybe the problem disappear when recording?), but I would like to sort this in order to be able to watch another program on the TV tuner while recording from the recorder's. Thanks! Hope it makes sense, English is not my mother tongue!!