1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Question About Sony DB1070 Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by betamac, May 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one and i am thinking about upgrading to a 6.1 system does the 1070 support 2 rear speakers as it seems it only has one input for 1 surround speaker, also if i add my rear speaker does it support the 6.1 formats like DTS ES DD5.1 EX etc, also does the AMP automatically select 6.1 when you put a 6.1 DVD into the DVD Player (and Select the appropiate sound of course) or do you need to do something with the AMP to get 6.1.

Lastly does it sound alot better with the extra speakers behind you?

Thanks in advance

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    As you already have a 6.1 system in the Str db 1070 the question is a little confusing.It will automatically detect a 6.1 encoded disc if that option is selected from the disc menu.Whether you feel it justifies the extra speaker or not is open to debate.I tried it and found it did make a difference although it is very slight,imho.Probably wouldn't go to the expense if doing it again though.

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry what i meant was upgrading to a 6.1 speaker setup, what about 2 back speakers from the 1070 is it possible?

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Sorry,missunderstood.
    I connected a singular speaker to my amp.If you are going to connect two i would connect in series to prevent an ohmic load being presented which was too high (just as a precaution).Why not try it with one connected temporarily to gauge it's effectiveness?

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep good idea i think i will but if i decide to go for 2 how do i connect them both the way you mentioned?

also how far apart do you think its an advantage to have 2 over just 1?

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    From your two speaker tails,connect the +ve of one to the -ve of the other.The two tails you have left are now connected to the amp output terminal.Hope this is clear.

7. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    wiring diagram: http://colomar.com/Shavano/4speaker.html

If you havn't bought centre rears yet and u want 2 and your normal surrounds are 8ohms then you would need 2 x 4ohm centre rears in series to give an 8 ohm load or 2 x 16ohm in parallel for an 8ohm load.

Also bear in mind the centre rear is mono and having 2 could actually worsen the intended effect.

8. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JSW, please help.

I have had an old 8 ohm speaker doing my surround back duties for some time now and Im quite happy with it. (Same receiver 1070).

I am in the process of upgrading my speakers and the last 2 to go are the Surround Rears. In the mean time I have 2 old 8ohm speakers I have hooked up to the 1070.

My problem is that I do not know which is +ive & which is -tive, they are old speakers with the cord coming out the back (****ty I know).

What happens if I connect them wrong ?
    I must admit that I have experimented befoer with + & - in speakers (switching them round) and can't hear any difference - wuold it be the same deal here or would they not sound right at all ?

Thanks for your help.

9. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Hi Craig

If you connect them wrong nothing serious will happen :)

They will be out of phase thats all and as such will sound poor.

To find out which is the positive with out actually opening up your speaker get a small battery AA such as in the remote control.
    Take the battery and put one wire from the speaker to the negative of the battery and take the other wire and tap it on and off the positive of the battery. This will cause the cone to pop either inwards out of phase or outwards in phase.

If it pops out then the wire yr tapping to the battery positive is yr speaker positive.
    If it pos inwards then the wire yr tapping to the battery positive is the speaker negative.

Its that simple.