Quick question about Samsung UE40B7020

Highdef

Standard Member
Apologies if this question has been asked already but I would just like to get some expert opinion on whether people think that the Samsung UE40B7020 LED tv matches the picture quality of a good Panasonic or Samsung 37" Plasma TV around the same price range?

My ideal choice for picture quality would have been the Pioneer PDPLX5090 but as this is too big and too expensive for my room I thought this Samsung may be the next best thing. What does everyone else think? Cheers!

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Apologies if this question has been asked already but I would just like to get some expert opinion on whether people think that the Samsung UE40B7020 LED tv matches the picture quality of a good Panasonic or Samsung 37" Plasma TV around the same price range?

My ideal choice for picture quality would have been the Pioneer PDPLX5090 but as this is too big and too expensive for my room I thought this Samsung may be the next best thing. What does everyone else think? Cheers!

I have the Samsung, and think it is great - especially given the £150 cashback from Samsung that now takes the prices down to £850.

All TVs have their flaws, and it depends which you are happier to live with. The Samsung has a fantastic picture, but the motion handling and performance in a dark room are not as good as a Panasonic G10 plasma IMO. The plasma looks a bit washed out for daytime viewing for me, and does not look that good wall mounted in a small room because it is so bulky.

Highdef

Standard Member
:lease:Man this is tough. Just going through all the reviews by AVForums and * and they both talk about the uniformity issue and auto-dimming.

Now, basically I am planning to have the tv in a conservatory so it will be a bright room. Also I will only be sitting just over 2m or 7ft. away.

The best tvs in my mind for around £1000 seem to be the Samsung UE40B7020 or the Panasonic V10.

Although the Panasonic Plasma V10 looks good, I'm worried about 42" being too big for that room and it doesn't have all the extras like wireless, USB port etc.

Plus I know I should only be worrying about picture quality but geez the Samsung looks so much nicer than the Panasonic.

I'm getting Sky HD + a BluRay, therefore in the end will I really notice the difference in picture quality between the two. Plus I don't watch much sport but I do like my movies.

Funny, I'm very good at giving advice to others but when it's my purchase I just um and eeer. I guess in the end what I am saying is, is it worth having a huge Panasonic tv for my room that doesn't look as good as the Samsung and less functions, purely for the better picture quality.

Any help guys?

TheMansDaddy

Standard Member
:lease:Man this is tough. Just going through all the reviews by AVForums and * and they both talk about the uniformity issue and auto-dimming.

Now, basically I am planning to have the tv in a conservatory so it will be a bright room. Also I will only be sitting just over 2m or 7ft. away.

The best tvs in my mind for around £1000 seem to be the Samsung UE40B7020 or the Panasonic V10.

Although the Panasonic Plasma V10 looks good, I'm worried about 42" being too big for that room and it doesn't have all the extras like wireless, USB port etc.

Plus I know I should only be worrying about picture quality but geez the Samsung looks so much nicer than the Panasonic.

I'm getting Sky HD + a BluRay, therefore in the end will I really notice the difference in picture quality between the two. Plus I don't watch much sport but I do like my movies.

Funny, I'm very good at giving advice to others but when it's my purchase I just um and eeer. I guess in the end what I am saying is, is it worth having a huge Panasonic tv for my room that doesn't look as good as the Samsung and less functions, purely for the better picture quality.

Any help guys?

I've got the 40B8000 and for my money the set excels in reproducing Blu-Ray and HDTV. Not to say that it does up-scaling bad, but whatever your settings it's virtually impossible for Blu-Ray not to look amazing ;)

And as for the motion problems and judder - I think they're overstated simply because Samsung's own standard settings are so bad. Once you get it, simply turn Motion Plus to 'clear' or (my preference) off, and for me it's gone from being like some horrible joke when I first set the TV up to practically perfect. But of course the only way to really find out what looks good to you on something like this is to ask a shop to demo some chosen material for you.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Highdef - I wouldn't go for a plasma in a conservatory, do not fare well in a really bright environment

How about the Sony 40W5500?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom