• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

quick question about overloading wall outlets

kryters

Standard Member
Hey, not quite sure where to post this but here goes.

ive been looking around the internet for ages but cant get a clear, simple answer.

Basicly i have 3 wall sockets in my room, well a single and a double.

VERY annoyingly, the double socket is now inaccessable due to being behind my bed on the opposite wall to all my equipment. ( and theres no other way to have the room)

Heres the thing, i need to run the following as i have a small home studio set up and home cinema set up.

ok so ..

home cinema..

37" LCD TV
AV Reciever
HDMI freeview box
PS3
Subwoofer
2 way switch box (untill i get my new reciever)

Computer / studio stuff..

PC
2 x 22" LCD monitors
Pair of studio monitors (speakers)
Mixing desk
Firewire interface
router
Phone base (landline)

and my macbook pro is in the post so ill need to be able to charge that too.. although i could probly use the ones behind my bed for things like that.

obviously my problem is i only have one accessible socket.

and ive just decorated litteraly 2 weeks ago, so obviously i dont want to be re-wiring.

Im guessing all that plugged in and running is going to be WAY too much right?

at the moment im just running all the home cinema stuff and bare essentials for the comp (pc, screens, and router)

and ive experienced no problems whatsoever

IS this to much? if yes any suggestions?

id like to say it wont all be on at once, but chances are at some point it will be,

thanks for any response :)

oh, and if it makes any differance.. i have run all of this equipment before using a combination of the single and double sockets with multiple 4-way extensions.

If i can use all this stuff in the single socket... it will run as follows..

3 way surge protected spillter, then the relevant amount of extentions run off.

thanks again!

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Believe it or not i think you may well be ok to put that lot on a single socket :eek:

You're allowed to draw 13 A on any socket, which is 3120W or thereabouts.

The LCD will be less than 400W, don't know about the AV receiver but possibly a couple of hundred. The monitors, a couple of hundred, maybe a bit more.
But everything else is negligible.

If you look at the plates on your gear, most of it will tell you the Wattage rating, so you can tot it all up yourself.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Or another way is just try it all at the same time. At most, it'll blow the fuse in the plug.

But I think you'll be ok :smashin:

kryters

Standard Member
oh right cool , thanks.

ill definately add everything up just to be sure before i turn everything on.

yh, after id been looking round the net it seemed i could run it all but it didnt seem right to me, seeing as its so much. but i guess it is.

i guess even if all 3 lcds add up to about 1200 and the comps about 1000 (i have no idea about wattage for pc's) and ive seen that the monitor speakers are 40w each... there is still plenty of room for everything else..
and everything is surge protected, so yh i guess the worse that will happen is if its all overloaded the fusewill blow.

most of the time alot of it will be off anyway.

thanks alot for your response.

leo79

Get a sparky to change your single to a double and also add an additional socket next to the original one. Should cost £40 - £60.
You might get away with having it all plugged in on 4way leads but it's not ideal.
Cheers
Leon

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
oh right cool , thanks.

ill definately add everything up just to be sure before i turn everything on.

yh, after id been looking round the net it seemed i could run it all but it didnt seem right to me, seeing as its so much. but i guess it is.

i guess even if all 3 lcds add up to about 1200 and the comps about 1000 (i have no idea about wattage for pc's) and ive seen that the monitor speakers are 40w each... there is still plenty of room for everything else..
and everything is surge protected, so yh i guess the worse that will happen is if its all overloaded the fusewill blow.

most of the time alot of it will be off anyway.

thanks alot for your response.

It's mad isn't it?
You can connect all that gear, np, but as soon as you plug say an electric fire and a kettle, it'll pop. Heating elements are the big power users.

You could go with Leo's route and it is perfectly sensible :smashin:
But I'd risk a 20P fuse first.
No, it's not ideal, but that's what the fuse is for, to keep you safe :smashin:

Fwiw, the power computers use is very small in the scheme of things.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom