1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question about HDMI...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Apnomis, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yeah I know the answer to this is probably burried away in the deep dark corners of this huge site, but just done a quick search and I'm afraid it's a case of information overload, since I'm only after a quick simple answer to a rhetorical question, not an in depth analysis...

Basically I have a Panny PW6 and a Denon 2800 MkII DVD player connected via a component connection. Now I'm very happy with the PQ, but I'll be looking to upgrade to a new DVD player sometime this year.

Since most players now come with HDMI connection I was wondering what advantages this connection offers? Is it the same as a DVI connection, I've heard people say you need a converter.

Forgive my ignorance but I'm not really well up on this new connection, I know it carries sound but that's no good to me as my plasma doesn't have speakers, I think the DVD players come with a scaler which sounds interesting, is that why you need to use the HDMI connection?

In a nutshell I need to know for future reference, if I buy a new generation DVD player with HDMI output will it be worth my while finding and buying a DVI terminal board for my PW6 (how much and where from?) and then buying a HDMI>DVI converter if needed (same questions) and connecting the DVD that way, or is the difference in PQ from a component connection mean it's not worth the effort? Finally is there any other connection the HDMI can be converted to, like the VGA port, again is this worth it?