1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question about H30 and aspect ratio.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by azzo, Aug 16, 2004.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK, so this has got a 800x600 panel but masks to view widescreen.
    When you project this onto a widescreen screen with borders, I presume the masked area at the top/bottom will overlap the borders of the screen.
    If you then want to view a PC in 800x600 resolution do you then have to move and zoom/focus the lens?
    I can't see how this can be supported without a lot of hastle if the projector is fix mounted. Or am I missing something?
    Thanks azzo.

2. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The projector has a window mode, whereby the 800x600 is displayed in the centre of your widescreen screen in a window, with large black bars down the side. I have not had to zoom / focus.

Although my desktop text is not very clear, but gaming wise it's great.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds like the projector is not running in its native resoultion if this is happening. I would have thought the image would be crystal clear?
    Azzo.

4. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it's probably something I'm doing (or not....), primarily I use it for Footy, DVD and Console gaming, so I haven't really played with the PC side. Perhaps it's something I'll do later :D once I've gotton over the wow look at that picture :smashin:

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I presume you don't suffer from rainbows or dizzyness/headaches? Currently been using an AE100 for 2 years and am thinking of a projector with better blacks/contrast. Its the lower resolution that is putting me off at the moment, but if I could utilise the full 800x600 res then the resoultion would be higher than mine and PC games would look much better.
    Azzo.

6. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can utilise the full 800 x 600 on the H30 by setting the display to 4:3 native and allowing the projector to sort and display the various aspect ratios.

That's where I leave mine and it works faultlessly, if at any time you want to change the display to suit the aspect ratio it takes a single button push on the remote to quickly change it with no bothersome menus to navigate.

I only use mine for DVD and SKY so I'm not sure how games might be affected but I can't see it would cause any unforseen problems.

Regards, MikeD

7. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    azzo - I do not suffer from headaches etc. in fact I'm sure I do not see the rainbows anymore, only in high contrast (white on black) do they become obvious, but I ignore them. As miked has said using 4:3 native fully utilises the 800x600 resolution and PC gaming for me has never looked so good.

MikeD - Can you tell me a little more about leaving the projector in 4:3 native. What picture format is fed from your DVD and how does it get displayed (i.e. black bars at the side??) I assume you have a 4:3 screen. Likewise with Sky, is your digibox set to output 4:3, if so, how is a widescreen picture displayed like football.

Any advice or guidance is much appreciated.

8. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Hi Bobbetts I'm not the best person to describe what happens in 4:3 native as it works for me and I haven't really tried to discover more.

What I can tell you is that the H30 displays a full width picture whatever aspect ratio is being fed, it's the vertical resolution that varies with unobtrusive black bars present at the top and bottom of widescreen pictures.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe 16:9 is displayed with slight cropping at the sides to give 800 x 480.

If 16:9 is selected on the H30 I think the displayed resolution becomes 800 x 450 or thereabouts to show the entire picture without any cropping.

I'm sure someone on this forum has a much better grasp of the H30 aspect ratios and how they work, perhaps someone would like to explain them.

Regards, MikeD

9. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi MikeD

Thanks for the info you have posted, can you just let me know what your DVD and Sky Digibox are set to 4:3 or 16:9.

Cheers

10. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i take it this thread is about the optoma h30? If so has anyone experienced sound being out of sync with sky digital. Projector is lagging behind my sound which it hooked up to a dvd with surround sound built in. I understand that i may need to buy a proper amp and speakers but still its the projectors output that is lagging behind. Any tips greatly appreciated. Other than this small hitch this projector is a stunner.

11. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    FlyingBig,

I have notice that as well, I also noticed it on DVD, but for some reason I haven't seen / heard it so much now. Whether I've just got used to it I don't know. Sorry this isn't much help !!.

Whilst here though, can I ask if anyone has noticed anything odd with colours on the H30. Whilst watching the matrix last night, on a number of occasions I received a smearing effect, similar to the one in the link below, I can replicate it every time at the particular point in the movie, so I wondered if anyone else with the Matrix and the Optoma H30 could try the scene out.

It occurs near the beginning as Agent Smith walks round to the front of the truck after crushing the phone box (Chap 2 5mins 53 - 5mins 55) I have also seen it in other parts of the film. Any feedback would be useful :thumbsup:

I am currently using the scart adaptor with a VGA cable.

Smearing Effect http://www.pbase.com/image/32732501

12. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sound out of sync .... this is a common problem with all progressive devices. It is because there is extra processing in the picture - typically 4 fields (2 frames) It uses pixel works technology to do this - another reason why the picture you see is so good. It is more prominent with sky digital because a lot of stuff they broadcast is already out of sync and this just exaggerates it!
    The ONLY way of getting round this problem is to get an amp with a Master Audio Delay (Not just a surround delay)
    Azzo

13. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The digibox is set to 4:3 the same aspect ratio as my old 28" Sony TV which is still used for most TV viewing, problem is of course the picture gets cropped at the sides.
    I'll check the DVD player next time I fire up the H30 as I can't remember off hand.

Regarding the sound being slightly out of sync, I've experienced this to a greater or lesser degree with all of the projectors I've owned.
    Sometimes you watch and it seems pretty good and other times it seems much worse.
    I've always attributed it to the time it takes for the interlaced halves of the picture to be combined and scaled by the projector before they can be displayed although I may be completely wrong, some amps allow delay adjustments to the sound which would correct the problem.

Never had any probs with smearing, the fact you can replicate it at the exact same point on the disc probably points to the actual disc mastering itself, it would be interesting to get hold of another Matrix disc and see if it still happens.

Regards, MikeD

14. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    MikeD, I'm hoping to try another Matrix disc tomorrow, it's curious because on a television, it looks fine....anyway, I've been trying out the Sky box in 4:3 and the projector set to 4:3 native.

My picture seems to break up on fast moving pans. I can only describe it as jagged edges around some of the detail on the screen. 16:9 is great and the picture quality is stunning. I have to admit I've not noticed the jaggies when gaming on the PC. Any thoughts??

15. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Bobbetts, im having the same problem you are with my H30 projector, the smearing problem. Im using RGB Scart via a VGA cable as well.

I seem to get it to stop by pressing the s-video then RGB button again to let it re-sync, it seems to sort itself then. But then it does it again soon after.

I have had my H30 back to Optoma but they never seemed to fix it, or were probably not aware of the problem a few weeks ago.

It happens to me on Sky, DVD and the XBox, think it might be some sort of PAL sync problem since NTSC discs work fine. I have tried different cables and DVD players but this doesnt fix it.

On the AVS forum there is discussion of this problem as well, waiting to see if there is any news of a fix.

16. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    GGB - I had read that on the avsforum as well, I wonder sometimes if I would have noticed these problems if I hadn't read about them !!

Perhaps I'll give Optoma a call and say I'm aware of others with the same problem. I'll also check out my NTSC discs, I can't say I've noticed it on them so worth a theory....

By the the way do you have the Matrix on DVD? Perhaps if you do, you could try the scene out I mentioned above.

17. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have actually emailed Optoma this morning and im waiting to see what their reply is.

I have the Matrix (R4 PAL) will have a look at it tonight when I get home but im 99 % certain its the projector.

I had on Raiders of the lost Ark (R1 NTSC) last night and saw no problem with the image at all, it was perfect.

18. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tried the scene in the Matrix that you mentioned Bobbetts and I get the same thing at that particular scene.

Emailed Optoma but no reply yet. Have you tried contacting them about this problem ?

19. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why are you guys using a dvd player when you can use your pc to watch dvds.This would solve your problem surely? Not to mention the extra quality you are getting with a progressive picture. Ill try Matrix though my projector to see if i experience the same smearing problem.

20. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tried "the scene" in Matrix and i have nothing to report. Everything is how it should be. My advice would be to scrap your standalone dvd players even if it is to get rid of the sound sync issues that come with using convertors that enable you to use your players with your projector. Sky digital is unwatchable through my projector so i won't be watching till i get a sound system in with Master audio as mentioned before, just hope it doesn't set me back too much. Another method would be to buy cable with 2 female audio plugs to 3.5 jack that will enable you to get your sound from your pc and install software to delay the audio, might be worth a shot.

21. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Would a progressive scan DVD player not help get rid of the smearing?

If you have the Bo Selecta DVD (series 2), at the end of each episode, the end credits crawl across the bottom of the screen. Watched on the H30, they are unreadable and I think this is the 'smearing' you mention. A friend of mine today commented that perhaps a progressive scan DVD player might be the answer (not that it's any big problem - but I'm getting a new DVD player anyway) as the deinterlacer in the H30 might be less than perfect on very fast moving material.

Any thoughts on a decent progressive dvd player on a budget :)

22. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cant really afford a new DVD player just now although I am interested in getting one.

The problem is not just with the DVD player, but with Sky and Xbox. If you look at the large H30 thread on the AVS Forum some people on there are having the same problem even with a progressive player as well.

Another strange thing is the fact that NTSC plays flawlessly, while PAL has the problem.

23. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sky & Xbox are not progressive scan devices and so still have to be processed by the H30 on-board deinterlacer. If the deinterlacer can't keep up then you are going to get a slight smearing or blurring, though it's barely noticable - and I can't remember seeing it on the H30 for a long time and I've watched quite a few movies recently. I think the deinterlacer is pretty good in the H30, but it's not 100% perfect.

And as for some people having smearing with progressive scan devices. Well, if the deinterlacer in their DVD player isn't doing a very good job of turning the image into progressive scan, things are bound to slip through the net. Better to get a good DVD player, with a good deinterlacing chip I think.

I'm thinking of something like Pioneer DV575 (multiregion) for about £130. Supposed to be a nice player with PAL/NTSC progressive output (click here to read this thread on the player)

24. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah the Pioneer DV 575 would be my choice to but away on holiday soon so need to save money for that. Maybe after though, it is my birthday soon after all !

If you look at the screenshot in the previous page by Bobbetts you will see the smearing problem in action. The thing is that it smears sometimes and sometimes it doesnt if I re-sync/restart the H30. I can play a scene, see the smear, re-sync it and replay the scene and its fine.
    If it happened all the time then I would probably accept it as being the DVD player.

25. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It isn't the DVD player - it's the deinterlacing chip in the H30 turning the interlaced footage from your dvd player into progressive scan material. As it does it on the fly, it creates different results every time the material goes through the chip.

26. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very well, in that case I might just go ahead and get the Pioneer 575. Should I use the component connection for the DVD player to projector or carry on with the RGB scart connection ?
    If so is there some sort of switcher that will allow swapping between the DVD player on component and Sky and the X Box on scart without pulling cables in and out each time ?

27. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like this thread has been busy....thanks for all the comments.

Would the Pioneer be a better bet over a DVD player in the PC?

GGB - Have you had any response from Optoma yet?

Booth1976 - It's interesting you say the results would be different everytime, the scene I mentioned earlier is displayed the same always. I have also found another scene at the beginning of chapter 12, as Trinity appears on the screen her face is a complete smear of colour. Unfortunately I do not have a dvd drive in my PC so cannot try this out.

28. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well tonight I tried plugging my PC directly into my projector to see how it looked and the difference was quite amazing, the picture was excellent. Its the best picture ive seen yet on the H30. Even better not much sign of the smearing problem, so it may mean my dvd player is causing the problem. Can I expect the same quality through progressive component booth1976 ?

As for using my PC, even though its high spec., its in the same room as my projector and is a bit too noisy.

I did speak to Optoma today and was going to have it sent back, but having tried the PC tonight, it looks like maybe buying a progressive dvd player will solve the problem. I have just ordered the Pioneer 575 seeing as I was planning on getting a new one at some point anyway.

29. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can you post your findings please, when you receive the Pioneer.