1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question about DVDs created from VHS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HMHB, Nov 18, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    If copy a VHS tape (not copy protected) onto a DVD-R via my E85, is it possible at a later date to just copy the DVD in a PC with 2 DVD drives using Nero ?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    You don't need to DVD drives. The best way is to use a programme called DVD Decrypter to 'rip' the files onto your HDD. Then just use your normal DVD burning programme to create a new DVD-R. You can easily find DVD Decrypter's home page by doing a Google search...

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    Cheers for that. I'm trying to set up a bit of a production-line copying my VHS tapes onto the HDD of the E85 and then burning 1 DVD from that and then hopefully a 2nd security copy on the PC. I assume 2nd copy is as good quality copying on the PC as it would be if I did 2 copies on the E85 ?

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Yes it will be exactly the same. You could also re-author it if you want and create much better menus etc on a PC.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Have fun :) I originally archived my 200+ VHS collection on my original Philips DVDR1000. The results were very average so I did it all again when I picked up the E20. And 2 years later on I have just done it again with the Panasonic E95 (to make better use of Flexible Record). The novelty has worn off now :)

6. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can understand you doing this to take advantage of the E95's superior MPEG encoding, but I don't see that FR has a bearing? I appreciate that the E20 only has FR in timer mode but surely you could have still achieved the same result using timer FR + pause/stop buttons?

I assume that when you get a Blu-ray or HD DVD recorder that those VHS tapes will come out again! :laugh:

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Yes - and I did - I just made a few mistakes in my calculations :blush: and also did direct copy to DVD-R meaning I didn't top and tail recordings as I have subsequently done. The E20 did a good job on them and the E95 hasn't really bettered it TBH: I am just a perfectionist so did them all again.

I doubt there would be any benefit to be honest. I will probably give it a go but I am very happy with my VHS disks now.

8. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some say the e95 has slightly superior PQ to e55/65/85?
    Is that true or just AV folklore?!

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Not that I've detected. I have had all four recorders plugged into my projector and plasma and they all looked identical as far as I could tell.