1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick question about comparisions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dapex, Aug 4, 2003.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just a quick question folks. If i purchase a progressive scan dvd player for use with my projector, will i notice a big difference in picture quality or does it all depend on my projector??

Cheers in advance

Dave

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    There are sooo many people better at all the techno mumbo jumbo. I'll explain my view simply:-

It does depend on the proj. All projectors display a progressive picture. Depending on the chip you have in the proj depends on the quality of picture youre going to get. If you spend £9k on a proj you're probably getting a good chip. Spend £2k and you probably not.

Going for a prog scan player you may not notice an instant improvement. A chap showed me a number of test signals that clearly showed the improvement in quality using an external processor (Briteview & Iscan). example: a scene with a wire fence showed a horrible pattern and jagged lines. The picture using a processor was clear and crisp the fence actually looked like a fence.

I wanted to see an improvement in PQ with all my kit so I went for an external processor. I now pass all my kit through that (xbox, gc, freeview & dvd). I have an Iscan Ultra. I love the quality of the picture. It looks alot more natural and easy to watch.

I would recommend going to a shop with a dem room to test. I went to av-sales in Kent. They were really friendly and helpful. I took my projector and dvd player and they left me in the demo room with an Iscan Ultra and Briteview to test....I also got to sit and test the Shiatsu chair at the same time! very relaxed. No hard sell. Great experience.

Jus.