Quick question about 4k hdr splitters

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Unluckywolf13, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Unluckywolf13

Unluckywolf13
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good afternoon y'all, I have been stalking the forums for a while and can't seem to find an answer to my question so I figured I would stop being anti social and ask.. Ok here goes. I recently bought a 4k tv and a ps4 pro. I have everything running through a 4k receiver (at work so I can't post the models) now the 4k receiver will be going to a splitter splitting the signal to the 4k tv and a 1080 projector. Neither will be run at the same time but I keep hearing that a 4k splitter will downgrade it to 1080 even when using the tv and not the projector. Can anyone clarify this or recommend a splitter that will maintain the quality when using each one on it's own? Thanks in advance!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    The Distribution Amp (DA) will not 'downgrade' or 'maintain' the quality of the signal - it simply passes EDID (Display capability) info to the Source.

Some DA will change the EDID depending on which Display or Displays are powered On rather than simply being attached.

The you have to factor in how your Source works - some will react to the change in EDID (2160p vs. 1080p) whilst others will simply ignore the EDID change and stick at what it has been set to and you need to manually override the settings.

So not as simple as you would hope.

The HDF Integral will recognise the status change on the Output side and send the relevant EDID to your Source - what happens after that I can't promise.

Integral – The Media Factory

Joe