1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick query

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by stustap, Oct 11, 2004.

1. stustap

stustap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have a pretty nifty DVD player with component out, s-video out and many other 'out' connection possibilites, but no scart output.

My TV is less impressive, a 3 year old LG widescreen which only has Scart inputs - and only 1 Scart input that is RGB.

How would be best to connect my DVD player to my TV? Using S-video to scart lead? Component to Scart (do they exist?)? For the time being I'm using the composite that came with the DVD player, giving me an awful picture.

Thanking you in advance

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I would guess that your best option would be s-video so you would need a lead with an s-video plus a pair of phono leads at one end and a scart on the other end.

Component and RGB aren't directly compatible and whilst you can buy converters it may be better to buy a new DVD player that does have scart sockets rather than travel down that route

3. stustap

stustap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian.

I bought the DVD player recently for just under £300 with 5.1, so its just the picture I need to get right, so I'll go for the s-video to scart cable. The cable they sold me at Richersounds was a 3 RCA (video, L audio, R audio) to scart for £20, which I am now p*ssed off about cuz its a composite video signal which gives a rubbish picture, and I don't need the stero sound cuz I have 5.1 speaker set-up.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If you have a seperate amp for the sound you can get away with an s-video to scart cable to plug into the TV as you won't be needing the two analogue phono leads then. Be careful as some of these cables are directional

5. stustap

stustap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I picked up a 'Thor' S-Video to Scart lead, hooked it up, and I'm getting a much sharper but BLACK AND WHITE picture??

What now?

My TV should be able to take S-Video as it has a seperate S-video input, and can take Composite and RGB through the scart sockets. So why is it displaying the S-Video in B&W through the scart socket?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    if TV take stand alone Svideo input on a 4 pin mini din cable why not just buy a 4 pin mini din to 4 pin mini Din cable.... There may be a set up option in TV menu to select

7. stustap

stustap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I opted for svideo to scart rather than svideo to svideo is because the svideo input on my TV is located on the front under a panel....and I'd rather have all my cabling out of view.

I can't seem to find a setting on my TV setup thats relevant :rolleyes:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    try another scart..... do you have 2? also check DVD player menu you may have to select S-video out.

9. stustap

stustap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide: still no luck...

my DVD player menu has options for component out, but nothing for svideo. I actually get a picture, so it must be outputting the svideo signal ok, just for some reason the TV is displaying it in black&white.

And there doesn't appear to be an option on the TV menu system that is relevant. It doesn't make sense because the TV must take an svideo signal cuz it has an svideo input!

10. stustap

stustap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread, or website that might help me?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    try and have a read of the manual..

12. stustap

stustap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad: oh yeah, never thought of that :thumbsdow