quick Q about 3805 bi-amp + auto setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Roguey, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi, just an quick question, if i bi-amp my front on a 3805 - can i use the auto-setup ok? i cant damage the 3805 or speakers in anyway? many thanks for ur time

2. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not tried this myself, but I recall that reading somewhere that the auto setup doesn't work correctly if you Bi-amp the front speakers.
    I think this is because the test tone for the front speakers will only be output through the front L + R channels, and not the other amp channel used for bi-amping.
    So, if you have the front L + R amp channels driving the bass/mid drivers then the test tone produced by the speakers won't have any high frequescy content produced by the tweeters as no test tone is being sent to the tweeters. I would guess that this will have an effect on both the level and equilisation correction that the amp thinks is appropriate.

3. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ah i see, would it work if i did the auto setup before the bi-amp, and after its done - adjust things how i like ie. small speakers etc. and then do the bi-amp?

4. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what you describe is going to be the best you can do using the auto setup functionality.
    I wouldn't expect the front speaker levels to change after you bi-amp and the frequency response should be the same.

If I get chance I might try this myself at the weekend. I don't have (or plan to have) rear centre speakers, so I have a couple of amp channels going spare also.

5. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Denon 2805, and this is a problem I had. To use the auto setup, I disconnected the 'B channel' cables, and bridged the connectors on the speakers, so the test tone produced treble as well. Once the setup had completed, I disconnected the 'bridge' and reconnected the 'B channel' and it sounded perfect. :lesson:

6. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    great to know, thanks.. after the setup did change any other settings for the front bi-amp? ie, eq settings for the front bass? or just leave it all at +0db? and leave the front channels with thier 'adjusted' eq?

plus did u notice an improvment?