1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick PV500 question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andypearce, Jun 13, 2005.

1. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was considering getting the 42" PV500 (because it's only a few hundred more than the 37" so why not!) but then noticed that the 37" has a vertical res of 720pixels so does this mean it would be a better picture when viewing HD in 720 res because it'sdoing a 1-1 mappping?

Sorry if I've misunderstood the basics but I'm fairly new to the HD scene!

2. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that there are as many lines in the 37 as the 42, the lines are just closer together in the 37. so yes it would.
    I think.
    but seriously dont sacrifice on size. you'll only notice the difference if your realy looking for it!!

3. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The number of lines is different on each of the sizes;

37" = 1024 x 720
    42" = 1024 x 768
    50" = 1366 x 768

So from that the 37" is the only one which can do a 1-1 mapping for 720 Hi Def.

4. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In theory, yes, the 37" should have a slight advantage with 720p HD signals, but apparently 1024x768 screens (on the 42") can scale 1080i feeds very well, while also providing a 1-1 mapping for XGA sources images.

Given that HD broadcasts are a fair way off yet (and so we can't really test how the 37" model differs from the 42"), I would give the boring advice, which is buy the screen size that best suits the room you'll be watching it in!

5. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree with this. Agonized for ages over 37PV500 vs 42PV500 and settled for the former. It's here now and I have a viewing distance of about 12 feet and the 37 is PLENTY big enough. DVDs look great but at that size and distance the imperfections of analog and freeview are all too apparent, with current SKY good. I am relieved I did not get the bigger one.