1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Poll?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Jepsen, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Jepsen

Jepsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which Tv should I buy?

Philips 9986 37" (Lcd Tv)

or

Pioneer FDE 43" (Plasma Tv)

Please Explain why?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Interesting that nobody has answered this.....It goes without saying that this Forum will vote unanimously for the Philips. You'd probably get a different response from the Plasma forum, but if they had their heads screwed on straight they's plump for the Philips too...

It is easily superior in nearly every way. Plasmas are a dying breed.

Jimmy

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you want to go for a Plasma then it would have to be the Pioneer XDE and not FDE. As far as I'm aware the XDE is the only Pioneer to handle HDTV.

If it's a straight shoot out between the 9986 and FDE, then the Philips wins it.

Personally, the Sharp 37GA3E p*sses on both of them ;)

4. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I recently had a similar decision to make. There's no real alternative to getting as good a look at the screens as you can. Generally I think most people find that plasma's struggle a bit with whites (they can only do a 'bright grey') and LCD's struggle with blacks (they can't do different very dark shades very well), although both have been getting better.

The other big pluses for LCD is:

i) Generally higher resolution - they work better with PC's and are likely to work better with HDTV although this will depend on their inputs as well.
    ii) No screen burn - plasma's can leave a residual image if you display a static image for too long. They've got a lot better since their early days but this makes LCD's a much better choice for use with PC's and games consols.
    iii) LCD's apparently have a longer lifespan - anecdotally a LCD will do about 10 years while a plasma degrades progessively, with the deterioration noticable after about 5 years depending on use.

My preference is still plasma for anything that's pure TV/video (won't make me popular round here I guess) purely because I find the lack of blacks on LCD's more noticeable than plasmas weaker whites. However the instant you want to connect it to a PC/games consol I go for LCD.

Hope this helps,

Nick

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Anyone else considered a DLP rear projection TV? Seems to have all the advantages of Plasma/LCDs without any of the drawbacks and cheaper too. The only obvious thing is that they can't be hung from a wall.

6. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I decided against DLP on the grounds of:

i) Fan noise
    ii) Running costs - they seem to get through bulbs quite quickly. I don't like my TV to need consumables. I like it to 'just go'
    iii) Size considerations - as you say they're still bigger than both LCD/plasma.

From the few I've seen I do prefer the picture though. If I had a spot that suited one I think it would edge it over both LCD and plasma.
    Nick

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I've had simiar concerns but for the ones I've seen the fan is no louder than some of the popular LCDs and certainly no louder than my Sky+ box. The b ulbs should last for approx 2 years+ and if you buy the Sagem from JL these are apparently covered in the 5 yr warranty. I think if you were considering buyin a 37" LCD or 40"+ plasma that was going to sit in the corner of the room I think these DLPs could be a better bet.