1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Panasonic E85 Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DennyL, Jan 2, 2005.

1. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic E85. Can anyone tell me whether this recorder can be used to record VHS tapes (not commercial ones) to DVD-R? Would this be done by connecting the SCART of the VHS recorder to one of the SCARTS on the E85? Thank you for any comments

Dennis

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Dennis - this recorder can record your VHS tapes to DVD-R. Unusally, at the moment I'm recording DVD to VHS (my wedding video in case anyone wondered!)

To do this would require a scart connection from DVD player to VCR.

3. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    In theory yes it should work as far as I know, apart from any macrovision or copy protection issues, which would depend on the vhs tape you were trying to copy. But as you said the tapes would not be 'commercial' then I think it should be ok.

As far as I know any dvd recorder should be able to do this, it just depends on the inputs of any particular model, Some models have DV in/out which may be of use if you wanted to use a camcorder as a pass through from your vcr to dv, although I don't know if this has any benefits in this situation.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    I've copied a few dozen VHS tapes onto my E85 over the last couple od months and connected up with scart to scart between the 2. I did find it much easier to copy to hard disk first and then dub it to DVD-R, you can make multiple copies easy then and also edit bits out easy on the hard disk before dubbing to DVD-R.

5. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What a wonderful thing the Internet is. I posted this question, popped out on my bike to my local Richer Sounds, who told me they have several E85s in stock. I've come back home and found these very helpful replies. Now I'll go out with the car and pick one up. Thank you.

6. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It's great isn't is? Instant advice, troubleshooting and reviews. Apparently Philips have lost "millions" due to bad word on their DVD recorders spreading throughout internet forums - which in my opinion is great as it shows companies can no longer get away with 'below par' offerings. :clap: