QUICK Pal Progressive Not worth it......

Anastie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My posts went mad when forum or ISP crashed. So here I go again. I have a Panny 36" PD30 and I wanted a new reciever and a new DVD player with Prog scan. I shortlisted a sony 930 DVD. When I rang sevenoaks they insisted that a prog scan player was not worth it on a CRT. Is this true? I thought pal prog would make a big difference on DVDs for this tv. I am supposed to be getting my new toys this weekend:)

Only your eyes will tell you that, Do you trust the guy you spoke to?
He is after all a salesman!
:rolleyes:
As PD30 RGB seems a tad dodgy component is worthwhile and NTSC prog scan useful (PAL is a mtter for discussion) and while not essential PS players tend to be better quality anyway.

Thanks m8. My problem is I need to decide if its worth getting a pal prog scan player. At present my Tosh 220 is only NTSC prog and looks ok. If the difference is small on my tv i will spend more cash on the reciever and change the DVD player for the "upgrade bug" reason only :)

I have a feeling Mr Sevenoaks said this too you because they don't distribute the Sony 930 :rolleyes:.

Your Toshiba 220 IS NOT NTSC Progressive.

You may aswell get a PAL Progressive player anyway, there's no reason why you can't, there's plenty of them around. It will be an improvement.

Now I do feel silly and a daft question coming up.. I thought my 220e was Progressive on NTSC as I am using componants linking it to my TV. So are you saying it is not taking the signal as progressive? Now thats interesting. Maybe I will see a difference with pal/NTSC progressive on a Sony 930.

Thanks

Your Tosh 220E is definitely not a progressive scan player.

You'll notice a significant improvement with the Sony with both video standards.

Tosh 220E IIRC is interlaced component, not PS so a PS player will give better results especially on NTSC and to a lesser exent on PAL as PAL has more lines. dont discount an HK DVD25/2550 also consider a Kef centre to match fronts as Tannoy is unlikely to be a good tonal match.

I have just ordered a Kef center from the classifieds:) The thing putting me off a HK25 is that I can get all my kit tomorrow picked up If I go for a sony 930/Pioneer 565 or even Panasonic S75.
to match the Pioneer 912 I fancy.

Thanks for all the help

I have the Pioneer 565, and it gives an excellent picture quality, excellent sound quality too.

It doesn't do PAL Progressive, but PAL Progressive IMHO is not absolutely essential on such a small (36") display - and the internal image de-interlacer of your Panasonic OR the Acquity system should make up for this.

Panasonic s75 is a excellent player for the money BUT only ntsc progressive.I hope the centre is ok as he told me i had it for 40 quid in a pm!

Thanks for all the help people. Sorry to hear that Philb I will let you know if I can get my 912 to work (see thread) In the end I got the Sony 930... Stills etting it all up

Let us know what you think will you :D

Hi Anastie
I had the 36PD30D, and heres my opinion:
1) the progressive scan (component input only) is worth it dont hesitate. besides its a feature all too comon in Dvd players today, you should go for it;
2) There seem to be some issues between this set and some progressive scan players (i have a Denon 2900) and that was the reason i sent it back because my set had problems with the Denom progressive feed and i felt that if i paid a premium price on
the Panny it should deliver the goods, so be sure you get a "compatible" progressive player.

Cheers:smoke:

By the way brits, Manchester will lose agains FC PORTO :hiya:
h:p :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom