Quick Onkyo 605 questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stephentw, Jan 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. stephentw

stephentw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Sorry to create a new thread but the other is mammoth and takes some time to get to what you need to know.

Am I right in thinking it works as some sort of switchbox as well as an awesome amp, reciever, whatever else - i.e. I could plug all of my sources into it (consoles, freeview, dvd etc etc) then it would output everything to the TV via one HDMI cable? Also will that connection to the TV still work via an HDMI>DVI converter? As I have an older LCD with no HDMI on it.

And (stupid question) but how much better is the 705? As it would be between those 2 I'd be choosing I'd imagine. Or am I missing some other amps which can deal with all the new HD sound formats and do similar things to these?

2. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    Yes, it does sort of act as a 'switchbox' for all inputs.

You should be able to use an HDMI-> DVI cable but with caveats. If the DVI does not carry HDCP is may restrict some content. Also, as DVI has no sound connection you would not get sound (on the TV). To get around this you could select the audio analogue out to the TV but the 605 does not route digital audio to the analog outs and vice versa.

The 705 has a few extra features but mainly THX certification, Audyssy MultiEQ (the 605 has Audyssey2), 3 HDMI rather than 2 inputs, Phono input (if you have a turntable).... and other stuff.

3. stephentw

stephentw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    When you say sort of, does it do what I said, via one cable or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

My DVI is HDCP compliant so thats ok :)

With the audio, I don't fully understand what you mean, I wouldn't want it to send digital audio to the TV if that's what you mean, analogue would be fine as I'd mainly be using the speakers from the amp, not the TV but getting some basic sound out of the TV would be handy if I didn't want the whole room shaking surround experience.

I do need a phono, but I was told I could still use a phono stage with it, just connect it to something like the aux or another I wouldn't use otherwise. Will have a look into whether I think I'll need the THX cert and MultiEQ.

4. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    What I meant is sort of super switcher as in it will take all inputs (composite, hdmi, component, SVid) and route them to the HDMI out. So Yes, If you use the HDMI out to the TV all can be selected through the amp.

Audio is different. If you have say a standard DVD player connected to the analogue audio in. The amp will not route this audio through to the HDMI out (as HDMI is digital). Similarly, if you had phono audio out to the TV, optical would not go through to the TV. Essentially, the 605 will send any digital in to digital out and same with analogue. But, you cannot send analogue audio to digital (in this case HDMI) or vice-versa. If you can get a hold of the manual on download this is explained on page 25. ;)

Phono is easily got around if you buy a small pre-amp to sit between your turntable and the amp input (aux for example). But, its a bit messy for me. I no longer have my turntable so didn't affect me.

Certainly the 705 has quite a few more features. Handy ones too. It just depends on whether you think it is worth the extra £200. :)

5. stephentw

stephentw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thank you very much :) it sounds ideal. I'll see if I can track down a manual though. Don't think the phono will be a problem as I already have a phono stage but it would be nice to have it built in.

Have to do some weighing up, I'll probably buy the amp and some speakers for it first, theres a good question I have a half decent pair of speakers (not 5.1 just 2 normal speakers), can I use my them as the front speakers then just buy a centre, rears and sub? Or is it advisable to buy all new stuff specifically for 5.1? I've only got an all in one style 5.1 at the minute so am new to having everything seperate.

6. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    If you are happy with the pair of speakers you have then by all means use them. There is nothing really special about '5.1' speakers, they are just speakers. 5.1 is just the number of speakers (5) and the sub woofer (.1). You can really use any speakers that you prefer.

7. stephentw

stephentw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Excellent, thats what I suspected, I just wasn't sure. I'll have to get something similar I believe for the centre though or it'll not sound right when things pan across the front. So I'm told.

8. barton3112

barton3112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is not 100% related but I am trying to output my Onkyo 605 by connecting the hdmi monitor out to the DVI-D on my Toshiba 27wl46 lcd using a HDMI to DVI-D cable. I can not get any picture at all from any source or even the Onkyo onscreen display. My native resolution on the LCD is 1270x720 and the DVI port does not support HDCP. Thanks in advance for any help.

9. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    Firstly you need to make sure you have set the 'HDMI Monitor out' to YES in the setup menu to get a picture from the HDMI out socket. Once you do this you should at least see the 605's on screen setup menus. Then you will need to assign your inputs to the source button.

Concentrate on getting the 605's menus displaying first.

10. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    By default you need the amp connected to your display by component to be able to see the menus until you switch on HDMI Monitor: Yes

11. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    You don't necessarily have to, the menus are displayed on the receiver's display (the line you are currently on) but it may help.

12. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    S'pose ;)