quick n00b question

pred8er

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the new ps3 (not compatible with ps2 games.) and i wanted to buy the MGS collection pack which happens to be on ps2 discs, Is there any way to play this on the ps3?

i heard that some games might be compatible? im not really too sure though.

if anyones knows if that mgs collection pack can be played on the new 80gb ps3 or if there will be a newer release up and comming that would be great!

thank you!

ahh boooo!

oh well hope they release a collection for ps3 or drop a new ps3 ps2 firmware update....

any chance of that happening though?

any ideas anyone?

ahh boooo!

oh well hope they release a collection for ps3 or drop a new ps3 ps2 firmware update....

any ideas anyone?

That is very unlikely I'm afraid.

ahh boooo!

any ideas anyone?

To be honest Sony have been very quiet on the BC side of things, there was rumours at one point about PS2 games coming to the PSN store but nothing has been mentioned about it for a while now.

As for a PS3 collection i don't think so, they would have to go back in and redo it all for it to work and that would cost to much to do.

is there a way to emulate the PS2 games via linux on the ps3?

ive heard of other consoles being emulated like SNES for exmaple.

could it be done like that ? i wouldnt mind installing linux and seeing what its like on the ps3?

any ideas?

no, currently and for the immediate future, there is no way to play it on your ps3.

your only option is to buy a ps2

ps2 emulators are illegal if you dont own the original console as you need specific ps2 files which are sony copyright.

is there a way to emulate the PS2 games via linux on the ps3?

ive heard of other consoles being emulated like SNES for exmaple.

could it be done like that ? i wouldnt mind installing linux and seeing what its like on the ps3?

any ideas?

As far as I'm aware there isn't. In fact I'm pretty sure there isn't or more people would be doing it. The collection has not been released here anyway so even if you could run PS2 games somehow it would be pointless. The only way is to buy a US PS3 or PS2.

As far as I'm aware there isn't. In fact I'm pretty sure there isn't or more people would be doing it. The collection has not been released here anyway so even if you could run PS2 games somehow it would be pointless. The only way is to buy a US PS3 or PS2.

Well i do have a US PS3, is there somthing that can be done then ? As far as I can tell there is no BC on my version?

Well i do have a US PS3, is there somthing that can be done then ? As far as I can tell there is no BC on my version?

then i'm afraid you are out of look. BC was only added to the 60gb version in the uk. yet was still included in the US versions up to AUG 08 if you have :

60gb USA CECHAxx
80gb USA CECHExx

then you should have BC any above don't. Sony may do something about it in a firmware but i won't hold your breath

then i'm afraid you are out of look. BC was only added to the 60gb version in the uk. yet was still included in the US versions up to AUG 08 if you have :

60gb USA CECHAxx
80gb USA CECHExx

then you should have BC any above don't. Sony may do something about it in a firmware but i won't hold your breath

I don't think they can fix it with a firmwire upgrade. SONY physically took out the the hardware which allowed ps2 games to be played in a ps3. So short of them releasing the games on psn, i don't think you will ever play ps2 games on ps3 again

thank all who replied, i was just curious as i would prefer to keep only 1 console around, but oh well thats life....

i was holding out that sony would release a software emulator for the ps3 but guess i wont hold my breath for that.

I don't think they can fix it with a firmwire upgrade. SONY physically took out the the hardware which allowed ps2 games to be played in a ps3. So short of them releasing the games on psn, i don't think you will ever play ps2 games on ps3 again
they did remove the hardware then replaced it with software for a shoer time

yeah i thought that was it the emotion chip for the hardware? as for a software i think it should be possible for a emulation workaround, but are Sony thinking of the piracy angle there still building games for the ps2 ?

yeah i thought that was it the emotion chip for the hardware? as for a software i think it should be possible for a emulation workaround, but are Sony thinking of the piracy angle there still building games for the ps2 ?

Yes they had the software emu on one of the 80gb models, thats why i thought it would be possible for them to release at least that option as a viable to every other ps3 that doesnt have the hardware.

maybe they will, who knows, i read somewhere they were about to release this functionality via a F/W update but then did a 360 at the last moment and decided not too.

piracy could be the reason, but i find that kinda dumb for them to do, eventually the ps3 will be hacked no matter what they try to do.

Yes they had the software emu on one of the 80gb models, thats why i thought it would be possible for them to release at least that option as a viable to every other ps3 that doesnt have the hardware.

Don't think thats true. Can't remember exact details right now but the original US 60G consoles had 2 specific PS2 chips built in. The UK 60G and I beleieve the US 80G only had one of the chips, the other emulated in software.

Don't think thats true. Can't remember exact details right now but the original US 60G consoles had 2 specific PS2 chips built in. The UK 60G and I beleieve the US 80G only had one of the chips, the other emulated in software.

I believe that is correct.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom