Quick memory gaining tips needed....

jiffy1974

Standard Member
i have a 120gb macbook pro and i cant update itunes and leopard as my memory is full.....i need a quick and very easy way of gaining some memory so i can do updates ready for iphone 3.0 software......i have onyx and run that but still only have 319mb left.....is there a duplicate folder of pictures of iphoto and the same with itunes? i also need to load ilife 09 as well......dont have an external hard drive or the money to buy anything else at the moment.......so help!

jiffy1974

Standard Member
wise words there donkey...:) i have gone through all the stuff i dont want...but i saw something somewhere that iphoto stores duplicates so essentially using twice the space....same with itunes.....

Tenex

Distinguished Member
In iTunes you can run 'find dupes' and delete but in iPhoto you can't. If another drive isn't an option I'd say you need to archive stuff to DVD.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
install and run this app

Monolingual

and remove all the languages you will never need.

If I remember rightly, I reclaimed about 2GB of space......

I assume everyone's done this already … duh!

in addition delete all the Printer drivers you don't use which will again be 2-3Gb.

imac123

check Movies/iMovie Projects folder as it can contain large files of abandoned imovie projects that can be quite large

J0hnEast0n

Give Xsimmer a thought.

It will remove all the unused PPC code from your universal applications. It also removes unused languages from your applications too. I think Monolingual only removes languages from the actual system. Correct me if I'm wrong? Xslimmer removes it from all your downloaded applications .

Uzeless

Very true

However, 1TB drives aren't very expensive either!

Im close to pulling the trigger on this one

LaCie 1TB d2 Quadra Hard Disk - Apple Store (U.K.)

BUT now i've seen this one!!

LaCie 1TB Little Big Disk Quadra eSATA/FW/USB - Apple Store (U.K.)

It's so tiny! but UBER cool!

:eek: That's over £300!!!!! For only 1TB!!!!! I use a WD My Book 1TB with my Mac and that was only £85 from Amazon!:thumbsup: (free delivery too!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Dig...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244183449&sr=8-1

Last edited:

mda1974

:eek: That's over £300!!!!! For only 1TB!!!!! I use a WD My Book 1TB with my Mac and that was only £85 from Amazon!:thumbsup: (free delivery too!)

I have the 500gb version of this connected to my imac which I use for time machine and it works great.

Yep, pricey isnt it! :eek:

I was about to buy it though, until I realised I was getting a time capsule too.... then it clicked, Dave you SPAZ! you wouldnt need both!! DOH :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So i'm going to stick with a time capsule.

Those lacie quadra's do look super cool though, especially the mini 1TB version (£300+)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom