1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Mario sunshine question

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Splinter, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I got the game today and so far it's fantastic. One thing that's puzzling me is how coin collection works. For example - I was running around the harbour level trying to get 100 coins and I only managed to get 76 till I had to go out. So i saved the game and turned the machine off.

I come back and enter the level again to find the coin counter is reset back to 0 and all the coins I collected are back again! So am i expected to get 100 coins within 1 level without leaving that level or turning the machine off?

Cheers

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    [EDIT]
    100 Gold Coins give you an extra Shine.
    [EDIT]

......YES, you would need to get 100 on the level before exiting.

Slightly OT, but have you come across Mecha Bowser in the fairground level yet? Absolutely awesome :).

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I've done that bowser level and the mirror one... About the comment on coins... There is a certain level that requires you to collect 100 of them to get a Shine... Its the one on Piranna Island or something where some bloke keeps on firing bombs and bullets at you... Of which actually I can't seem to figure out what to do o_O Tried picking up the bombs to throw into the cannon but you can't pick them up o_O

Mind you I've only given it one go so I'll have another later on... Pikmin just arrived too ^_^

4. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks, I was going for 100 as i heard it gave you an extra life which i assume would be a permenant thing - so i'd have 5 lives opposed to 4 as i enter the levels. When the area loads it has the highest amount of coins i've managed to collect at the bottom of the loading screen, is that simply a highest score thing?

Only seen 2 levels so far, bianco hills and the harbour - taking my time with it, looking forward to the sights in store for me.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm taking my time as well due to work commitments and lovely PC repair. Still have Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness and Pikmin to play though as well! And ICO on the PS2 and soon Tekken 4...

The game is superb so far but Nintendo should have made buildings and objects semi-transparent when the camera is stuck behind Mario... Also theres a fair bit of slowdown on the later mirror levels but its fine. Mario is still in top shape and the long wait is almost forgotten...

6. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    There is a point to collecting 100 coins in the main hub area, this will give you a shine. Managed to play every night since it arrived on Tuesday and now up to 25 shines. According to a magazine review I read yesterday, there are a total of 120 shines to collect, so I still have a fair way to got.

The game is terrific fun.

7. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    You are on the right lines, squirt the bombs, then you can pick them up.

Also, it is worth collecting coins as 50 gets an extra life, then 100 gets a bonus shine. I have done this in the main hub as mentioned previous. I have also just discovered that it works in the worlds too, I have done it in Ricco Harbor and Bianco Hills, so I imagine that it would apply to every world.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are indeed correct bish - 100 coins gives you a Shine - only found this out after doing a couple tonight :).

I've edited my original post because what I said was entirely wrong :eek: - thankfully that's a rare occurence with me though ;).

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    No worries Groundy, you were right about one thing though, the mecha Bowser level is awesome.

p.s.
    Up to 32 shines now :cool:

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grr... I want to play more Mario Sunshine but my old TV in my bedroom atm doesn't support accept colour via S-Video. Not too bothered though since my Gamecube is next to my Tosh TV at my apartment... Only need to finish off the bathroom and kitchen then I can move in ^_^ Then I can get into some serious gaming...