1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick LCD question..

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by NickXX, Jan 15, 2005.

1. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've got a 27" Tosh LCD, and in the manual it says not to leave the LCD on standby for any long length of time, I.e. overnight. Does anyone pay any attention to this? Is there some sort of reasoning behind it?

Cheers,

Nick

2. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange, I've got the Tosh 32WL48 and the manual doesn't say this. It only says "don't leave equipment switched on when it is unattended, unless it...has a standby mode"

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The reasoning behind it is that these companies are covering themselves in case of an accident. It has been known for TV's to go on fire when left on standby...this is because the TV is technically still on. It has a small transformer powering the power supply starting circuitry which, if faulty, can overheat and catch fire! EEK! Highly unlikely though.

Another reason is that, because this wee transformer is running, the TV is burning electricity - costing you money.

Turn the TV off properly as often as you can..

Jimmy

4. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, cheers guys!

Ginger, my manual says the same thing in the front, but in the 'Getting started' section it mentions not leaving it on overnight.

I was just worried that the life of the tv/backlight might be seriously suffering if I left it in standby. I wouldn't normally be too fussed, but the TV is in my bedroom, and I usually watch it before going to sleep - I'm far too lazy to get out of bed to turn it off properly!

I'll keep leaving it in standby overnight I'll switch it off before I leave for work in the morning.

Thanks again,

Nick