Quick Jamo A102 Setup (cable) Question

googlebox99

In preparation for my Onkyo 605 and Jamo A102 speakers arriving today, I'd like to purchase all the necessary cables from my local audio shop.

The system is coming bundled as a special offer with 15m of speaker cable which I will presumably cut to lengths and fit in the back of the amp.

Looking at the back of the amp (http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/images/txsr605_rear_300.jpg), and I am sorry this is a newbie question, the subwoofer connector appears to be single and purple under Pre-out (I presume this is correct).

I will plug the PS3 and Xbox in via HDMI and output to the TV.

1 - Is the subwoofer likely to come with this cable, or should I purchase a sub cable?

2 - I want to plug the Wii component cables into this amp, but I am confused where all 5 of the cables go in. If someone can give me a pointer that would be great!

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi googlebox99

You are correct with the purple pre-out for the sub-woofer.

For the subwoofer cable that will depend on the subwoofer. Some do and some do not!

And just remember to assign the component connection to the audio input you are using for the Wii!

Reagrds. Shane

electro_N1k

1 - Is the subwoofer likely to come with this cable, or should I purchase a sub cable?

2 - I want to plug the Wii component cables into this amp, but I am confused where all 5 of the cables go in. If someone can give me a pointer that would be great!

1) No, the sub is not likely to come with one of these cables, and if it did, it probably wouldn't be very good... You can get one ordered to size here, I was very impressed with the quality, price and service.

2) You put the 3 colour coded video cables (given component video is only 3 of those 5....) into the "Component Video In" bit in the top left, and the 2 remaining phono connectors into a seperate audio section. I'm unsure if you'll have to make sure they're matching (in name) but am sure someone will be able to clarify further :smashin:

googlebox99

Fabulous, thank you for your answers.

I'll wait for delivery and see if it comes with a sub cable before going out and buying one.

scottiefraser

In preparation for my Onkyo 605 and Jamo A102 speakers arriving today, I'd like to purchase all the necessary cables from my local audio shop.

The system is coming bundled as a special offer with 15m of speaker cable which I will presumably cut to lengths and fit in the back of the amp.

Looking at the back of the amp (http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/images/txsr605_rear_300.jpg), and I am sorry this is a newbie question, the subwoofer connector appears to be single and purple under Pre-out (I presume this is correct).

I will plug the PS3 and Xbox in via HDMI and output to the TV.

Hello mate,

Sounds like my set-up is like yours and I got the Jamo package from Audiovisual with the 15m of speaker wire also. In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, the Jamo set comes with a long (probably 5 metres or more) gold Sub cable which is good enough to get you up and running (you can upgrade later if you feel it relly necessary). You will see 2 Inputs on the sub, just plug into the one labelled left in the Sub as this will do fine. Also though it's worth pointing out that the Sub power cable that comes in the box is a European type (shaver style) plug. You will need an adapter or if you have an old kettle type lead (I used an old PC lead) this will do fine. You can get a hold of them for a couple of quid on ebay or Maplins, PC world etc!

2. You can set the Wii up using the Game set-up according to the instructions. My set-up is attached.

Also, the speaker cable will need to be cut as you presumed and yes you are right about the Sub.

Have fun setting up.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 605 Wii set-up.jpg
    605 Wii set-up.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 554

googlebox99

Hello mate,

Sounds like my set-up is like yours and I got the Jamo package from Audiovisual with the 15m of speaker wire also. In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, the Jamo set comes with a long (probably 5 metres or more) gold Sub cable which is good enough to get you up and running (you can upgrade later if you feel it relly necessary). You will see 2 Inputs on the sub, just plug into the one labelled ledt as this will do fine. Also thoughm it's worth pointing out that the Sub power cable that comes in the box is a European type (shaver style) plug. You will need an adapter or if you have an old kettle type lead (I used an old PC lead) this will do fine. You can get a hold of them for a couple of quid on ebay or Maplins, PC world etc!

2. You can set the Wii up using the Game set-up according to the instructions. My set-up is attached.

Also, the speaker cable will need to be cut as you presumed and yes you are right about the Sub.

Have fun setting up.

Great! Thank you very much for this reply.

I will set up with the cables supplied and see how it sounds. As you say I can always look into better cabling once it's in place.

Thanks again

ukbandit

Hello mate,

have fun setting up.

thanks for that, i just bought the same setup and having never had seperates or an amp, the sheer number of connections, pCM, LPCM, DD, pre-out, banana plug stuff is :eek:

at least the wii should work :)

xPositor

Once you've received your goodies and set them up, can you post about any problems you encountered, and how it all sounded. Yesterday I ordered the 605 with the Jamo's, and have got to connect Sky HD, PS3 and a Wii, so would be great to hear how you get on!

googlebox99

Will do. Unfortunately, although the amp arrived very efficiently, the idiots at Parcelforce (or Parcelfarce as I like to call them) messed up with the speakers.

They were sent yesterday on a "24 hour service guarenteed" and the tracking says expected delivery date as today. Called them up and they said the parcel "missed the truck"...upon asking why, she said "dunno". I truly hate this godawful company.

Apparently they "maybe, dunno" arrive tomorrow for me to pickup...but who knows.

xPositor

Fingers crossed then that your gear all arrives before mine... You ought to be able to claim shipping costs back now though, if they were meant to be on the 24 hour service...

Duckers

Standard Member
This is the same setup that I'm hoping to be running soon. I purchased the Onkyo 605 from RS for £330 the other day, but I'm at a loss in finding somewhere to buy the Jamo's from! Audio Visual said they should have some in, in the next 7 - 10 days. I might place an order with them and keep looking round.

Will keep checking back on this thread, should give me some good tips on setting up. I'm going to put the V+ Box and PS3 on the HDMI out, and the PS2, Wii and Xbox 360 on the components. Finally, have my pre-amp to a spare input for the turntable.

scottiefraser

Will do. Unfortunately, although the amp arrived very efficiently, the idiots at Parcelforce (or Parcelfarce as I like to call them) messed up with the speakers.

They were sent yesterday on a "24 hour service guarenteed" and the tracking says expected delivery date as today. Called them up and they said the parcel "missed the truck"...upon asking why, she said "dunno". I truly hate this godawful company.

Apparently they "maybe, dunno" arrive tomorrow for me to pickup...but who knows.

They managed to completely lose my Jamo's just before Xmas. Claimed to Audiovisual that they had never sent them even after their driver said he had done it and there was a signature to prove it!!

Make sure you tell the Audiovisual sales team as they may be intersted and yes, you should be able to claim the postage back!

scottiefraser

This is the same setup that I'm hoping to be running soon. I purchased the Onkyo 605 from RS for £330 the other day, but I'm at a loss in finding somewhere to buy the Jamo's from! Audio Visual said they should have some in, in the next 7 - 10 days. I might place an order with them and keep looking round.

Will keep checking back on this thread, should give me some good tips on setting up. I'm going to put the V+ Box and PS3 on the HDMI out, and the PS2, Wii and Xbox 360 on the components. Finally, have my pre-amp to a spare input for the turntable.

Wow!! They have sold like hot cakes then because they had 16 sets of these after Xmas!!

Keep trying here also:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B84533

Very cheap price but they get only a few in at a time.

Can thoroughly recommend Audiovisual though as they dealt with my loss of order efficiently and curteously!:) They also seem to get the Jamo's in a lot more regularly.

By the way, you won't regret getting them as they look and sound fantastic!

Even my missus (who is usually non caring about technology) was impressed!:thumbsup:

Duckers

Standard Member
In my impatience, I feel like running down to RS and buying the Kef's just to get some surround sound, but I've just got to restrain myself. They look ugly, and I'll save myself some cash on the Jamo's once I've got all the cabling sorted out.

I've already got two bookshelf speakers, that I have as part of my turntable setup. I'm replacing on old amp, so for the time being I'll set up the receiver with the two bookshelfs as front left and right. Once I get the Jamo's I'm going to to keep the bookshelfs in and set up the satellites as the rears for a 7.1 setup. That why I need the extra cabling :p

I'm more than likly going to bite the bullet and wait for Audio Visual to get the stock. They said it should be sometime this next week, either way I'm goig to have to wait about for them. I don't mind paying a bit extra.

I'm regretting not picking up the Jamo's from lambdatek when I was first looking, they had stock, but at the time I hadn't made any plans about the receiver. Managed to get the receiver cheap, and was ready to order them. 10 phone calls later and I'm still jamoless. I'll keep you posted. Sorry for hijacking the thread, OP.

googlebox99

In my impatience, I feel like running down to RS and buying the Kef's just to get some surround sound, but I've just got to restrain myself. They look ugly, and I'll save myself some cash on the Jamo's once I've got all the cabling sorted out.

I agree, Kefs look really ugly, I liked the reserved look of the Jamo's!

I have the Onkyo plugged into the 3 games consoles and TV, at least all the video connections work a treat.

Will force myself out of bed on a Saturday morning to get these speakers (if they arrive at the depot)...

scatterbug

can the front jamos be wall mounted?

where woudl the mounts be purchased from?

They come with integral mounts that can be removed if not needed. However, they have a limited range of movement: the satellites can go left/right, the centre can move up/down.

Of course, you could attach them to an additional bracket that has a full range of movement.

xPositor

To keep us all chewing our nails off whilst waiting, have we made the right decision on these Jamo's then? I'm eagerly awaiting and have had to resign myself to the lead-time; my 605 is sat waiting at av-sales for the Jamo's arrive, before they all get shipped off to me. The worst thing I could do now is to carry on 'shopping-around'. I've made my decision on the amp and speakers (although cancelled the 605 once, changed to a 505, then cancelled that and went back to the 605 - av-sales were very sympathetic...!), so should stop looking at other options. I'm sure it will all be OK in the mix, but reassuring to hear other people that are happy with them...

ukbandit

To keep us all chewing our nails off whilst waiting, have we made the right decision on these Jamo's then? I'm eagerly awaiting and have had to resign myself to the lead-time; my 605 is sat waiting at av-sales for the Jamo's arrive, before they all get shipped off to me. The worst thing I could do now is to carry on 'shopping-around'. I've made my decision on the amp and speakers (although cancelled the 605 once, changed to a 505, then cancelled that and went back to the 605 - av-sales were very sympathetic...!), so should stop looking at other options. I'm sure it will all be OK in the mix, but reassuring to hear other people that are happy with them...

yes you made the right decision (because i made it too and i dont want to be wrong :() :rotfl:

like you i was reading ther sony 910 thread and thinking...but :nono: keep out!

Scatterbugm thanks for the info on the mounts, thats great :smashin:

googlebox99

I went for the 605 for the HDMI sound throughput for TrueHD and if the hundreds of Jamo reviews I have read from various happy owners and magazines are to be believed, we won't be disappointed!

angelgrant

Well get this guys, i think i'm the worst off here! i tell you why i recieved my jamos from hifi4less 2 days ago next working day delivery and guess what i can't even use them...i'm gutted!

the reason why, i'm without speaker wire! i've done my measurements and i need 50 metres all in all...thats all speakers included! i never knew how much speaker cable was until i looked and guess what else my job decided to underpay me (i get paid weekly only left with £50) so i'm out of pocket and i have everything required waiting (tosh ep30 player, onkyo 605, sammy 40in lcd, wii, xbox360, htpc) but no wire.....i feel like crying like a big kid :(:(.

ah well i'm nearly there...hopefully that'll help if i keep telling myself....i just wanna make sure everything works!!! fingers crossed!

Waser

I went for the 605 for the HDMI sound throughput for TrueHD and if the hundreds of Jamo reviews I have read from various happy owners and magazines are to be believed, we won't be disappointed!

I'm another one that's gone for the 605 and Jamo combo. :thumbsup:

But then I'm a surround sound noob so anything will probably sound good. I've got my Onkyo still in it's box and waiting on my Jamos and Speaker stands over the course of the next week and a half. :suicide:

angelgrant

By the way guys, has any one got any setup guide for the sub of the jamos, i mean there's loads of dials at the back...i know what most of them do but three of them i'm stuck as to what they do and the manual doesn't tell me jack!?

there the ones with the hill type diagrams next to them (some sort of sound spectrum analyser maybe??)

Any ideas welcome guys?? :-(

Duckers

Standard Member
Well I got the Jamo's!

There was an eBay auction for a set with a buy it now best offer. I put in £200 for them and got them, £218 total. I've paid a bit more that the cheapest place, but atleast I know I've got them! No more waiting for delivery. I'm only about £20 out of pocket once I've got all my cabling.

As for cables, what do people think to 40m of the fiscal stuff?:

Fiscal Low Profile Flat Speaker Cable

I know it's pretty cheap, but I can't afford to break the bank.

As for the sub cable, the spekaers come with one, is it worth keeping that? I was only going to buy a budget cable anyway, so I doubt there would be much improvement. Porbably best to see what it sounds like once set up.

googlebox99

Woke up at 9am to call Parcelforce to go pick up my parcel at the depot, the woman says "oh...it's not here...it must have missed the truck"...

AGAIN!?
:lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom