1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick help on projetor throw

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RATMARK, May 23, 2003.

1. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because of room dimention im needing a pj the will produce a 8foot image this is the maximunm width as the screen will sit in front of widow hidden behing curtain pelmets when in up position hopefully ! but the pj must sit 6.5mtrs away from the screen on the opposite wall as there is no room or method of hanging pj from above due to large A frame in the barn i live in and i dont want to sit one on a coffee table as this would place the table and proj approx 2 foot from the fire in the room not good for the temperature
    a quick list of likly candidates and prices would be very usfull or any crafty idea how to suspend a pj from a 25foot high ceiling !:lesson:

2. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    how can you 'throw' something so expensive :D

Sorry! Couldn't resist

3. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heres a picture of my PJ mounted on the back wall 17 feet away form the screen which is ceiling mounted on a 13 feet wide wall.

The portable tv mount cost a whopping £11.99 from Argos :)
    Screen from AV-Sales :)

Attached Files:

• pj.jpg
      pj.jpg
      Size:
      6.2 KB
      Views:
  4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  5. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I was sort of in the same position as you, I wanted pj 16ft away with 6ft wide screen.

Putting your throw distance 21 ft, and screen width, 8ft into this calculator from projectorcental.com. ie

!this

produces these results

these

As you can see your choice is both limited and expensive, without the need to change the lens on the pj. The problem you face, apart from limited choice. is the inverse square law, ie doubling the distance from the light source produces a quarter of the light output. So for max brightness of picture you need either, to get the pj as close to the screen as possible or, buy a pj with a high output 1000 lumens+.

Due to such a high ceiling the 'coffee table' approach may be the most practical solution. Unfortunately I have found that pj ownership is all about compromise!