Quick HD related question

Hi Guys I'm a little out of practice so wondering if you guys could save me a little time. I have a friend who is running an Intel 805d (early dual core CPU) with onboard graphics. I've just found an old Radeon 9600GT 256Mb PCIx Graphics card, will this alongside his 805d and 4Gb of decent PC6400 RAM be able to playback 1080p MKV's without a hitch??

He will eventually be picking up a cheap 2nd hand Q6600 Quad core cpu but will the GPU I have stated be ample?

Cheers Guys

Awayyyy Computer Boffins this should be quiet an easy one to answer. I'm guessing that alongside an 805d it might struggle....but with summit like a Q6600 it won't have a problem. I've always been led to beleive that rendering 1080p video is more of a CPU dependant operation than a GPU one as its the CPU doing most of the number crunching so to speak. I'm trying to purchase the last few bits for this build for me pal and i would really like to put it to bed tonight if possible.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
. I've always been led to beleive that rendering 1080p video is more of a CPU dependant operation than a GPU one as its the CPU doing most of the number crunching so to speak.

No, the GPU does the work. Until recently I was using a P4D 2.8Ghz with an ATI HD 3470 card and HD was fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom