quick HD questions

minineil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just got a new 1080 LCD tv.

Got a 360 about 2 years ago, running the machine with the Component HD AV Cable which came with the machine

Will this work as good as the new 360 with the Xbox 360 HDMI Cable.

any help.

Neil.:lease::thumbsup:

Almost as good but not quite.

You can get a max of 1080i over the component cables.
HDMI would give you 1080p.

This wont make a hell of a lot of difference to you as most games dont run anything like 1080i or 1080p. IT may make a difference if you have a HD DVD drive or 1080p HD media on your xbox.

The xbox won't allow 1080p playback for video thru component. It will for gaming.

Any HD connection on the 360 will play games at 1080p, component included. See the FAQ for more details. Theoretically, there is no image quality difference between HDMI and component (or VGA for that matter), but some TVs are optimised to make the most out of one connection type. Have a search for someone with the same TV as you, or try them yourself. I'd bet comonent should be fine though.

whats the P mean against i in the word 1080

was thinking about geting a new 360 to have hd connection but if its not loads better then is it worth doing.

Is one better than the other (total newbie on the subject of 1080)

Progressive really only becomes relevant when viewing films shot and encoded @24fps (film is natively shot at 24fps) Now that HD-DVD has died a death the catalgoue won't be growing so I don't think its a must have. There are some games that are in 1080p but these are rare and you won't notice a massive difference between them.

interlaced relates to two fields being interlaced to create a single fame ( you may have seen 50i before on your LCD display !?!. 2 fields per frame 25 frames a second = 50i)

My advice wouldnt be to not get to bogged down with the techy ins and outs. You will be fine with either 1080i or p.

Thank you all for your help on this matter

Going to set up the machine at the weekend and the new blueray dvd as well.

Can i set my 360 to 1080 in the setup memu on xbox or go to 720

Thank you all for your help on this matter

Going to set up the machine at the weekend and the new blueray dvd as well.

Can i set my 360 to 1080 in the setup memu on xbox or go to 720

Do you have an HD-DVD drive ? Is your HDTV full hd ?

not got a hd dvd drive , the drive came with the 360.

Yes full HD

OK, well as you have no HD DVD its really no biggie. Set the Xbox to 1080p and see how you get on with it, also set the PS3 to 1080p. Any type of annoying flicker from the xbox and change to 1080i but i think you will be fine.
I have mine all set to 1080p but its only really the playstation that really makes best use of it when watch bluerays (typical 24fps)

Awww, I'm well jealous ! Enjoy setting it all up :thumbsup: make sure you pick up/rent a Blueray to test aswell !

OK, well as you have no HD DVD its really no biggie. Set the Xbox to 1080p and see how you get on with it, also set the PS3 to 1080p. Any type of annoying flicker from the xbox and change to 1080i but i think you will be fine.
I have mine all set to 1080p but its only really the playstation that really makes best use of it when watch bluerays (typical 24fps)

Awww, I'm well jealous ! Enjoy setting it all up :thumbsup: make sure you pick up/rent a Blueray to test aswell !

Would have got a ps 3 for the blueray films but its not region free and thats the only thing thats stopping me getting the ps3 and not a Sony S350 :smashin:

What do you think then mate.

Your TV will upsample games and DVD's anyway, but this has been discussed lots before.

Also the HDMI port on the 360 was more of an after thought and as such there are many who say VGA looks better :)

Would have got a ps 3 for the blueray films but its not region free and thats the only thing thats stopping me getting the ps3 and not a Sony S350 :smashin:

What do you think then mate.

Soz I thought you had already got a PS3. I know what you mean about the region free thing. I havent revisted any of my region 1 dvds in ages as i dont have anything that will play them at the mo. As for the Bluerays, I have only ever bought one disc. Once a week I will trade that disc on the classifieds, always have something new to watch and its FREE :clap: As long as its Region A or B it will play (IIRC)

No just got the 360 at the mo, no real point in getting a ps3 when i have a 360 , going to get a blueray player to go with my new tv.

If i did not have the 360 then yes I would get the ps3 to have gaming and films in one machine.

Neil..

i have a 32 inch sony w4000 and the picture is fantastic for gaming on the 360, i have it set to 720p on component, was thinking about getting the hdmi cable but im not sure whether it would make a difference, i would be surprised if it did as the picture at the moment is fab. :D

Sad night.

Started so well
Got a copy of Fifa 09 to rent from Blockbusters:smashin:

Then it all ended :thumbsdow

RING OF DEATH (the special red lights ) Its F:devil::devil::devil:ed

Will try and ring game in the morning and see what i can do.

Neil ( lost without her):suicide:

HDMI would conceivably give you a 1080p (though there are current no games that actually utilize 1080p) output where as the component cable is not capable of this and thus not as good.

I have found the HD VGA gives the clearest sharpest picture on my 32" 720p television but probably wont be the case with you.

she's going back to microsoft to be repaired under the three year thing of ROD.

If it was not free then I would have looked at aps3 or get the supermarket deal on the 360 £100

neil.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom