quick guide....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MUG3N, Aug 16, 2002.

1. MUG3N

MUG3N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been interested in home cinema for some time now and have finally gotten round to start a conversion on my detached garage into a HC.

For starters I will be working on a budget for the and was thinking of getting the Sony VPL- HS1 and wanted to know if this PJ can output multi region dvd's as I saw somewhere that there are problems in this area with some projects.

Also I have been hearing a lot about lense filters and things and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of were I can find out more about them.

Thanks for any help...

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to support both NTSC and PAL sources, which is all that multi-region will do. Perhaps it was to do with supporting progressive PAL?

HS1 is supposed to be a good little projector, but you need a special cable from Sony (about £80) to get VGA etc inputs, and also it isn't easy to ceiling mount it (it is possible, but you have to go into the service menu or something).

You should also check out the panasonic AE100 and perhaps one or two more (Sanyo PLV 30; philips monroe). Always watch them before you decide. Don't buy blind.

While I'm here - I was thinking about converting my internal garage. Do you have any good websites to go to to get an idea of cost/time? Not sure if it'll be AV,just another reception room.

3. MUG3N

MUG3N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my father and I are converting the garage, he owns his own (small) building company so he knows how to do all of the work. We have been meaning to do some work on the garage for some time as it is detached from the house and has un upstairs in it.

We previously installed a boiler off the garage for central heating in the house so we dug a small trench in the ground and run extra piping and cables through so if you were converting a garage to another room I guess it would need quite a bit of time/money if you were doing it yourself.

I am sorry to say I dont have any websites on the area, anyone else have any usefull sites?

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    If you are going to have a dedicated, light-controlled (i.e. it will be completely blacked-out when watching films) room, then I'd suggest talking to Roland or Gordon about a second-hand CRT. The picture is far superior to a LCD projector in those conditions.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. mark_bickerdike

mark_bickerdike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've got this projector and also a multi-region dvd player. No problems at all!

There are some setttings to switch between PAL & NTSC but you don't need to do anything. I assume the dvd player is doing the clever bit really

Cheers...

7. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just finished my internal garage conversion. Took around 6 months as I did it bit by bit.

Removed the garage door and bricked up with a bay window to match the house. Knocked through from the bottom of the stairs after removing the radiator. Used a fire door for sound proofing. Laid false floor, Removed ceiling as no insulation. Installed 10 mini spots that are on a remote dimmer. Studded all walls in 2" x 2" and then in between used something that I can only call a big aero (Chocky Bar). Very light but great for sound proofing compared to slabs from Wickes etc. Then I boarded in a thick density 8ft x 4ft sheet called fermacell on walls/ceiling. These are designed for sound proofing, fire etc. Then plastered and painted.

Total cost approx £2500.

Painted in a deep red with the back wall being Icestorm 6. Took an Epson PJ home from work last night to get a feel of what's to come. Didn't look bad and has prepared me to spend spend spend on all the AV kit.

I did take some pictures along the way which I will try and publish soon!!:D