Quick electrical question

• Thread starter Deleted member 174041
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 174041

What amp cable should I use to connect an in-line fan to the mains and also a room thermostat.

I'm thinking 3 core 3 amp? Will that be ok?

Aerojon

what is the current draw of the fan?

Aerojon

3amp cable will be fine,at that wattage it doesn't even draw 1 amp.

D

Deleted member 174041

Would I use the same cable to connect to the thermostat?

lynx

Senior Moderator
Is the fan double insulated (class II)?

0.5/1.0mm will be fine for the stat (assuming it only carries a signal).

Sparky83

Just make sure the Room Thermostat doesn't need 3 core plus an earth, depends what your using it for but some require a permanent live, neutral, earth and switch live, meaning a normal T&E cable aint no good, 3c & E would be needed.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
before you take any of the advice above, you need to know the rating of the protective device i.e a fuse in a spur or a breaker back in your Distribution board.

The cable size isn't determined by the size of the final load but by the size of the protective device as well as other considerations like lengths of run, type of cable, how its run etc etc etc.

assuming that the protection will be from a fused spur with a 5Amp fuse in it (or even taken from your lighting circuit (normal with bathroom extractors)) then 1.5mm twin and earth will be fine.
however if you are only putting a double poll isolator in a ring main to feed this circuit then your protective device will be from the consumer and could well be 32amp and if that's the case 1.5mm will not be big enough.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 174041

Just make sure the Room Thermostat doesn't need 3 core plus an earth, depends what your using it for but some require a permanent live, neutral, earth and switch live, meaning a normal T&E cable aint no good, 3c & E would be needed.

It'll be this thremostat that I'll be getting...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150626286139?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

before you take any of the advice above, you need to know the rating of the protective device i.e a fuse in a spur or a breaker back in your Distribution board.

The cable size isn't determined by the size of the final load but by the size of the protective device as well as other considerations like lengths of run, type of cable, how its run etc etc etc.

assuming that the protection will be from a fused spur with a 5Amp fuse in it (or even taken from your lighting circuit (normal with bathroom extractors)) then 1.5mm twin and earth will be fine.
however if you are only putting a double poll isolator in a ring main to feed this circuit then your protective device will be from the consumer and could well be 32amp and if that's the case 1.5mm will not be big enough.

Someone had told me to use 1mm white flexi cable and attach a 3amp plug to it then plug in.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
Someone had told me to use 1mm white flexi cable and attach a 3amp plug to it then plug in.

that will be fine

apologies if my earlier post came across as condescending, it was just everyone was saying 1mm cable was fine but no one had asked about fuse sizes etc

Sparky83

As Above the fan itself doesn't require a CPC, personally i would use 3core cable and connect my CPC at the supply end and either remove it the other end, or choccy block it. So the cable is protected should it get damaged.

D

Deleted member 174041

that will be fine

apologies if my earlier post came across as condescending, it was just everyone was saying 1mm cable was fine but no one had asked about fuse sizes etc

Not at all, thanks for your help.

You don't require a cpc , therefore 1.0mm two core for the fan.
Consider a programmable roomstat e.g. CM907 7 Day Programmable Thermostat - Honeywell UK Heating Controls

I was looking at the programmable ones but I'd never use the program side.

I'll tell you what I'm doing... I currently have a wood stove in my living room. I'll be very shortly insulating that room so the room may get very warm. I've installed the inline fan between this room and the dining room so that when the temperture reaches a certain temp, the fan will kick in and carry the warm air to the back room.

As Above the fan itself doesn't require a CPC, personally i would use 3core cable and connect my CPC at the supply end and either remove it the other end, or choccy block it. So the cable is protected should it get damaged.

Thanks mate.

niceguy235uk

In simple terms, all cables should have a cpc within it, connected at the supply end, even if its double insulated at the other. Most DI appliances with have somewhere to terminate the CPC.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom