quick effect check

dmx005

I was browsing flickr and wondered how u guys think this photographer achieves the effect he uses on a lot of his work.. great contrast, vignetting etc.. U think its photoshop or filters, or both!?

stevegreen

From the look of some of them he uses photoshop quite heavily to increase the overall contrast, probably on seperate layers as there is some signs of haloing on some of them. He also uses a 5D with a 17-40L which will provide some natural vignette but it looks to me as if he accentuates it in post processing. Oh, and some very skillful flash work as well!

onefivenine

Novice Member
He has quite a varied portfolio, indoor off-camera flash with coloured gels, outdoor landscapes, some almost IR look processing - it's a bit difficult to answer your question as they are all very mixed.
Which shots are you referring to?
Some nice work in his photostream. Tried to decipher the comments but my Icelandic is not that hot ;). Did see mention of Lightroom though. So I guess he used a very light room? ;)

dmx005

He has quite a varied portfolio, indoor off-camera flash with coloured gels, outdoor landscapes, some almost IR look processing - it's a bit difficult to answer your question as they are all very mixed.
Which shots are you referring to?
A lot seem to have been de-saturated quite a bit.. like this. I do like the style but Im always a bit dissapointed when I see images that are heavily processed. Sorry, dont meant to start a feud here! ;-)

Im a designer and having used photoshop every day for the last 10 years or so maybe I feel that most images can be vastly improved so Id like to be able to get to the point (like some of u guys in fact) where I can capture stunning images and not have to spend time on post processing other than tweaking white balance, curves & levels. Hope I'm explaining myself!? I think what Im trying to say is that the more post processed the image is, then it becomes an artwork as opposed to a photograph - maybe Im old fashioned! ;)

onefivenine

Novice Member
A lot seem to have been de-saturated quite a bit.. like this. I do like the style but Im always a bit dissapointed when I see images that are heavily processed. Sorry, dont meant to start a feud here! ;-)

Im a designer and having used photoshop every day for the last 10 years or so maybe I feel that most images can be vastly improved so Id like to be able to get to the point (like some of u guys in fact) where I can capture stunning images and not have to spend time on post processing other than tweaking white balance, curves & levels. Hope I'm explaining myself!? I think what Im trying to say is that the more post processed the image is, then it becomes an artwork as opposed to a photograph - maybe Im old fashioned! ;)
That makes perfect sense - it's pretty much my strategy too.
I like using filters and lighting - but havne't experimented much with flash yet.
I also avoid PP - aprt from minor levels, curves and sharpening adjustments which are about the limit of my skills.

You've probably got a real advantage over most shooters here with your background - I reckon you'll catch up and overtake people in no time!

dmx005

That makes perfect sense - it's pretty much my strategy too.
I like using filters and lighting - but havne't experimented much with flash yet.
I also avoid PP - aprt from minor levels, curves and sharpening adjustments which are about the limit of my skills.

You've probably got a real advantage over most shooters here with your background - I reckon you'll catch up and overtake people in no time!
thanks! If I could develop skills like the photographers on this forum I'd be very fortunate indeed! I think my strategy is now just to get out there and get used to taking pics of various things/people/places and try to develop a style that's my own & see where it goes.

stylgeo

Novice Member
This looks like beautifuly constracted dragan effect. Google it and you'll see what I mean. Draganised photos get a litle desaturated and a lot contrasty!

for those too bored to try it out and experiment, here's the action
http://www.atncentral.com/Zip_Actions/Draganizer.zip

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom