• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Quick eBay question

fragdude

Prominent Member
After some advice,

Have won an auction on eBay, but the seller has asked me not to pay to his PayPal account as it's not working correctly, but he will send me an invoice for the amount from PayPal so I can pay ( its a different email address )

If I go ahead and pay will I still be covered, as surely it will look I've not paid for item on eBay, and if the deal goes south will I be able to claim?

Thanks
Jas

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Tricky one, as you should only pay to the paypal address registered with eBay. If you go outside this, you won't be covered with eBay, but you should still be covered with Paypal when paying to the alternative address so long as you pay as goods and services, not friends and family. Personally, I'd ring Paypal/ebay and ask.

fragdude

Prominent Member
Thanks, I've messaged the seller to get his PayPal sorted on eBay and I'll pay via that once sorted, as I'm not willing to do the way he suggested, await his reply.

Jas

D

Deleted member 161415

After some advice,

Have won an auction on eBay, but the seller has asked me not to pay to his PayPal account as it's not working correctly, but he will send me an invoice for the amount from PayPal so I can pay ( its a different email address )

If I go ahead and pay will I still be covered, as surely it will look I've not paid for item on eBay, and if the deal goes south will I be able to claim?

Thanks
Jas

The seller needs to add the email address to his PayPal account profile. If the seller is unable to do this, he can send you a PayPal invoice for the eBay item using the "Request Money" tab on his PayPal Account Overview page.

Paying from the PayPal "Request Money" invoice may make the payment not eligible for eBay Buyer Protection, however... it will most likely be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection which is pretty much the same as eBay Buyer Protection.

If you're uncomfortable with that possibility, ask the seller to cancel the eBay transaction and relist, using his correct PayPal email address, with either a BIN (Buy It Now) price equal to your winning bid amount or the "Best Offer" option. This will enable you to buy the item and use eBay checkout to send payment to his correct PayPal email address.

John7

Prominent Member
Another possibility is that this may be a scammer who has hacked someone else's ebay account - that's why he wants you to pay to a different email address. I'd be very wary only deal with the PayPal account registered to the listed seller.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Sounds dodgy to me - how is a PayPal account not working properly?

He needs to raise that with PayPal and eBay but my guess is that there is nothing wrong with the PayPal account, apart from the fact that it might not be his.

Cheers,

Nigel

fragdude

Prominent Member
ive messaged him to sort out his account with eBay and PayPal, once sorted I'll happily finish the deal, in the meantime I'm not happy to conclude as I'll only pay to the account linked with eBay,

He can either sort or cancel the deal and I'll buy from a different seller

Thanks all
Jas

IronGiant

Probably the best course of action. There could be an innocent reason , but it could be that he owes Ebay money from that account so doesn't want to use it or any number of dodgy reasons..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom