1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick DVI > Plasma question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Oasis-GasPanic, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When I want to watch a QTime/WMVHD movie trailer on my plasma I currently have to plug my PC in to it using the standard VGA cable and selecting the native res of my screen using powerstrip (852x480) which is fine, but, I read if I used DVI instead of VGA apart from gaining slightly higher quality images (more so over longer runs) the resolution would set itself due to DVI checking your monitors native res and changing windows settings automaically.

Ii this true??

Regards,

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The DVI connection has the ability for the display to tell the operating system what resolutions it supports, if the video drivers care to they can make use of that. I THINK the feature is call DCC, but could be wrong there.

It doesn't always work, my main PC doesn't recognise my LG LCD monitor, my HTPC using a Radeon card doesn't recognise the Sanyo Z2 properly .. however someone else reported an nVidia-equipped PC did.

However, even when it works Windows won't automatically change the desktop resolution simply because you plug in a different monitor. I used to cross-plig my HTPC from an AE300 to my LCD monitor and I always had to manually change the resolution.

Bottom line: it may work, it may not, you have to try it to see if in your case all the little pieced fit together.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    KraGorn is spot on and I'd add that DVI is designed for SHORT transmisisons not long ones.

Gordon

4. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's also worth point out that standard analog VGA connections can also do this... it's called EDID and has been standard practice for years for monitors to (attempt) to report their abilities back to the VGA card, and a pain the bum when they err on the side of caution and don't let you do modes they're capable of without turning off the relevant safety check in windows.

So it's not an issue restricted to DVI, nor is it one you can't get around.

5. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for the replys guys, I suppose I'll just have to get a DVI cable and find out for myself if this specific feature works.

Regards,