Quick dvd-rw compatibilty question (not another!)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shakur96, Mar 31, 2005.

1. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a JVC DRM10 recorder, and have a Philips dvd player in the bedroom (not sure of the model, was bought from tesco for £40-50 about 18 months ago). Anyway after recording onto blank HP DVD-RW and finalizing the disc, it wont play on the philips player. My question is there anything I can do without replacing the player - would different branded media make any difference? or are the philips players prohibited from playing dvd-rw's. If I have to replace - when looking for a cheapy player to replace it in the bedroom what makes/models should be fine with my dr-m10 burned -rw's?

regards

2. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try using a -R disc as they have the best compatability.

Maybe it's because Philips are in the +R/RW campp that the -RW will not play.

3. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking on dvdrhelp.com it looks like around 50% of Philips dvd players can play DVD-RW, so it's probably worth finding your model number and then checking on dvdrhelp.com to see if it can play -rw's first.

If it turns out that it can't play -rw's then you may be better finding a few dvd players in your price range and then checking dvdrhelp to see if they play everything you want. Most of the JVC/Panasonic/Pioneer/Toshiba players will probably play -rw's, but I don't know if they will be outside your 'budget' range. Most supermarket cheapies should also play -rw's.
    But I'm sure if you post your budget for a cheapie replacement you will get some recommendations.

4. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link, the player is philips 625 and according to that site should play -rw's. So now I'm thinking try TDK or verbatim media as a couple of people say it tested fine using them. Does it matter what record mode (eg sp , lp etc.) i'm using?

5. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it shouldn't matter what quality mode you use. Before you try any other brand of disc you may want to check that the discs have been formatted as DVD-Video as it's highly unlikely that your Philips will play back discs formatted as DVD-VR.

6. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Are there many (any?) players that could play -rw that were formatted uner vr mode?

7. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Pioneer 575 will play VR discs created in my Pioneer 520 :thumbsup: but I suspect it's in a minority

8. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. It looks increasingly likely that my postponing of getting a dvd/hdd recorder is about to end. But if anyone knows of a anymore players which can play vr mode created discs feel free to post, I have no specific budget just cheap as possible.

9. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another Q, whats the point of being able to finalize a vr mode rw if its not going to play on the majority of standalone players? may be obvious but its late and I'm struggling to think why.

10. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be readable on a PC ;)

I'm probably being spoilt as I have a HDD DVD recorder, but why can't you do your DVD-RW's as dvd-video rather than VR. You can still record the programs the same way as you do in VR mode and then finalise it when the disc is full/has all the programs on that you want to watch. I'm not familiar with your JVC recorder, but editing facilities are probably a bit more limited than using VR mode, but as you are using DVD-RW I'm guessing you are just using them for timeslip recordings to be watched on either your JVC or the bedroom dvd player and then reused.

11. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To say the editing features on video mode are limited is an understatement. In fact apart from recording and deleting all the other edit features are unavailable in video mode, and timeslip is only permitted on ram discs. I forever just start a recording (without the timer) and forget to put it off. For example if I'm taping an hour program, It'll sometimes be 2 hours plus before I get round to pressing stop. Under vr mode I could just crop the excess off, but if I'm only going to record in video mode for later compatibility I cant do that, so I have to be precise in my recordings as not to waste disc space with stuff I don't need. (and live with commercials).

I guess I have 3 options (1) Stick with my setup and record in video mode, (2) Use vr mode and then use my pc to re-encode it in video mode, or (3) A HDD DVD purchase.

I'll try option 1 short term as late at night when you just want to crash in bed with a recorded dvd option 2 is too time consuming. Option 3 looks increasingly likely (I needed a good excuse). Other than that I could invest in a dvd player that reads dvd-rw vr, but for that money plus the money I could get for shifting the JVC and a little extra I could get a nice hdd dvd combo.

12. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well I did say that I am spoilt as I have a HDD DVD recorder ;)

I'm a little suprised that timeslip only work on DVD-Ram; I can use timeslip on HDD and DVD-RW recordings on my Pioneer.

I would say that if you want to carry on recording the way you do the only real option is option 3, but if you used the timer a bit more then option 1 may be a little more viable