1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick DVD-RAM Question.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by steshaw, Jul 9, 2004.

1. steshaw

steshaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I'm an old hand AV geezer who's totally off the ball nowadays. I've been travelling around Asia, Oz and S. America for the last 3 yrs and haven't got a clue what's going on (tho' I did amass a huge collection of pirated DVD's in Vietnam and China - not the best quality but the guys that peddle these know what to do...they go round the bars after 11pm with their holdalls full of copies and, at £1 a pop & a belly full of booze, off you go! It's worth the £1 just to read the Eng subtitles in Battle Royale or Shaolin Soccer!).
    Back to it - Is DVD-RAM a rewritable format?
    Thanks in advance

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, and IMHO the best!

Dave

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    But also the most expensive and incompatible with most dvd players. Still, as you say, it is the best format. Apparantly it's the most reliable also.

4. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it might be the most expensive but it's also the most flexible, you can
    edit then transfer to the cheaper DVD-r format, erase your RAM and use it again, that's what i'm doing and i'm currently owning only 3 DVD-RAM discs.

5. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Theoretically it is rerecordable up to 100,000 times. I'm nowhere near that number, but the couple I have used the most show no evidence of any deteriation at all.

I use the type in carriers, I just assume it must help to keep them more dust free than the others, and you'd have to be a total muppet to get finger prints on them.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    So do I - they may not look very fashionable but they will outlast other optical media types by years.

7. samijubal

samijubal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can also be edited and then they will seamlessly record on the edited spots no matter where they are, I've been using them for almost 3 years and have never seen a seam yet no matter how many times or places I edit them. Also the only discs that don't have to be finalized to play in other equipment or unfinalized to be recorded over.