1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick DLP Rainbow Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rich1978, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Rich1978

Rich1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently saw a presentation in the office done on a DLP projector. It was the first time I'd seen one of these in action and was quite interested to finally find out what these rainbow things were.

I did see the rainbow effect, but only when looking in between other audience members heads (their heads blocking out parts of the screen), while moving my head - yes it was a very dull presentation.

Since the presentation basically involved a static computer screen, I wondered whether:-

1) I would see more rainbows if it was a moving image (i.e. watching a film).
    2) See less/ no rainbows if a kept my head still and parts of the screen were not obscured (by peoples head for example).

Thanks

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Yea. I'm sure you would see more on a moving image. I watched the pod sequence in Phantom Menace on a Sim2 HT200 and I saw rainbows everywhere. Very off putting. I didn't see rainbows on the moving menus.

I recently saw a SIM2 HT300 (£8.5k) and it had an incredible picture...I didn't see one rainbow.

3. Rich1978

Rich1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JUS,

I think I'll stick with LCD for a bit longer then. It would be nice to have a spare £8.5k kicking around though.

4. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've just moved from LCD to DLP.
    I could see rainbows with SIM 200, and also with Optoma H56, but could not see anything, even when looking for it with Infocus 5700 (which I bought) or SIM 2 Domino.
    I think it's the 6 segment 5x speed which helps.
    In any case, rainbow only ever intruded occasionally for me, so maybe I'm lucky!
    Extra smoothness and contrast definitely make the move worthwhile.
    By the way, the Infocus lists at £3k, which is a bit more affordable

5. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Personally, never used to see rainbows on my old HT200, upgraded to a 300+ earlier this year and (perhaps obviously) can't see any on the new machine, either.

However, whilst demoing for new projector, I had terrible trouble with a Yamaha - rainbows all over the place ! It was only at that point that I realised what all the fuss was about !