Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Quick Denon 500 question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Shooter1, May 10, 2005.

1. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I'm about to buy the Denon 500 based on all the good reviews :thumbsup: . I will be combining this with a Sammy 50" DLP and Sky plus.

I'm just about to order good quality cables. Can you please confirm that the following will do the trick.

1. Scart for Sky Plus to TV.
    2. Optical Cable for Sky Plus to Denon.
    3. Component for Denon to TV.

Do I need another scart for Denon to TV & do I need phono leads? If the answer to either of these is yes, can you please explain why.

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I thought I may as well get it right 1st time :D

2. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly how I have mine connected. It'll do the job just fine. :thumbsup:

I did have another scart going from the LCD to the Denon, but you don't need it unless you're going to use your TV's built in tuner - which I'm not - and want to the Denon to take a sound input from it. I watch everything via Sky+ nowadays as the picture quality's much better. :cool:

HTH

Jud

3. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thx Judders, greatly appreciated.

4. reddux

reddux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you will be connecting a PS2 or Xbox you may want to invest in some phono leads too as I needed the component connection from my PS2 for viewing on the TV (with no component input on Denon) as any lesser connection method was very poor PQ and wanted the sound through the Denon aswell ;)

5. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks reddux. I will be connecting an xbox via the hi def cables. Will I still need the phono leads?

6. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my PS2 (Slimline) and Denon connected via component to my LCD using one of these: Component switch box

I also had to buy a PS2 component cable (sorry if that's stating the obvious!).

And My Sky+ and PS2 connected via optical to my Denon 500 using one of these Optical splitter

All works a treat with great sound and PQ :thumbsup: Playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory at the moment and the use of the surround speakers is very cool :cool:

Jud

7. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shooter, when you say Hi-Def cables, do you mean component? If so, you will need to cater for sound, as component cables only carry picture signals.

I know nothing about the Xbox, but if possible, use an optical connection as I have for my PS2.

HTH

Jud