Quick decision needed:- JVC HV32D40BK or Toshiba 32YT56?

A

alphasmith

I've just ordered a Toshiba 32YT56 but am seriously considering cancelling my order and going for the JVC HV32D40BK. Could do with some quick advice please.

My thoughts are:

JVC HV32D40BK
PRO'S: 2xRGB scarts, HD via composite input (EXT4)
CON's: HD only 1080i composite, reports of reflections off screen?

Toshiba 32YT56
PRO's : £100 cheaper at £400, digital sound output
CON's: Only 1XRGB scart, no composite input, reported sound problems.

The TV would be connected to a Toshiba SD360E upscaling DVD player, however I think it only upscales over HDMI connection which neither TV has.

Any help appreciated :confused:

if its any help i had two toshiba's, and sent them both back because of humming sounds.

motorhead said:
if its any help i had two toshiba's, and sent them both back because of humming sounds.

Yes thats some help cheers, I've more or less made my mind up on the JVC at the moment, any more info would be appreciated though :smashin:

The JVC has a digital freeview tuner and processes information at 75Hz & probably the ONLY (CRT) TV that is worth buying that does HD.

I'd go for the JVC. The Tosh set while having a good picture, it is down to the eyes of the beholder whether the colour it outputs is true. As you say it also lacks scart i/p's.

alphasmith said:
JVC HV32D40BK
PRO'S: 2xRGB scarts, HD via composite input (EXT4)
CON's: HD only 1080i composite, reports of reflections off screen?

I think you mean "component", not composite

You may find that you can get your Toshiba DVD player to ouput an upscaled picture through component using a "handset hack".

but I would just set the component output on the DVD player to progressive and watch 576p, you will get a much more natural less "processed" picture

this has been said many times before, HDMI is for "their" benefit, not ours (HDCP)

Thank you per-Sony-fied for the advice, much appreciated!

c_j_holt said:
I think you mean "component", not composite

You may find that you can get your Toshiba DVD player to ouput an upscaled picture through component using a "handset hack".

but I would just set the component output on the DVD player to progressive and watch 576p, you will get a much more natural less "processed" picture

this has been said many times before, HDMI is for "their" benefit, not ours (HDCP)

c_j_holt your quite right i did mean component - showing myself up :D
I'll keep an eye open for a possible hack but would be quite happy with component at the moment.

Many thanks for all replies - that's why i keep coming back to this great forum :smashin:

The JVC has been discontinued for a while now and may be a bit tricky to find. If you do find one, make sure it's new and not a refurb or graded stock, unless priced accordingly.

I've seen the JVC at empire direct which should be new obviously, what's the difference between refurb or graded stock though?

alphasmith said:
I've seen the JVC at empire direct which should be new obviously, what's the difference between refurb or graded stock though?

The terms vary depending on who you buy from. Refurb is generally something that has been used and then "Refurbished" or "Reconditioned", both of which usually mean a quick test and a cabinet polish.

Graded stock is generally stock which has been returned to manufacturers as faulty on delivery. It's repaired & sold as Graded Stock. A lot of it ends up on eBay these days.

As far as I know Empire only sell new so you should be OK there. They do tend to buy a lot of end of line deals which is probably why they still have D40s available.

I see, thanks for the info, got one wingin it's way to me sometime this week - thanks for everyones replies :smashin: :smashin:

I have a 32YT56 and I am very happy with the picture quality but the whistling noise it has developed would put me off buying one if I could choose again.

If it is a high pitch whistle from the speakers there is an official toshiba mod to cure it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom