1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Decision - LC26GA4E vs 26WL46?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Stuff, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been followng the LCD threads avidly but need some balanced feedback on the Sharp LC26GA(3e/4e) picture quality versus Toshiba 26WL46?

I have the Tosh reserved at Powerhouse until tomorrow at £799 with 12mth waranty but can also get hold of a LC26GA3E at the local Robert Whyte on Monday for £999 with 5 year warranty.

Question: Is it worth paying the extra for the DVI input, good looks & P-n-P extras on the Sharp?

I'll kick myself if the PQ from my PC using the 15-pin D-sub on the Tosh is way below par compared to the Sharp's DVI PQ.

Main use will be DVB/Sky (via scart), DVD (via component) - secondary use as a PC monitor (I have a XFX 6800GT with twin DVI's so it would be a crying shame to waste them!!)

Any assistance in tipping the balance would be greatly appreciated as I've not seen an decent UK reviews of the Saarp's PQ for DVB/Sky/DVD. I'm not concerned about sound as I'll be using an external 5.1 system.

Looking to make a decision tonight, but I'm very tempted by the Sharp with the 5 year warranty.

Thanks in advance

2. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    check supported resolutions of both VGA and DVI sockets. I think you will get better support from using DVI especially for widescreen resolutions although Powerstrip may come to your rescue as well

3. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I would deffo go for the Sharp, splash out the extra £200 you get a great tv with all the connections plus a 5yr warranty..............but i am biased as i've just ordered one :)

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would say Sharp because it has detachable speakers aswell. I can't stand TVs that have built in speakers that you're not going to use !!

:)

5. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp's performance over DVI when connected to a PC is pretty well proven by users on here, using PowerStrip to get 1368x768 with the display in dot-by-dot mode.

Sky on my 32GA4 is excellent on the whole via RGB once you've played with the display settings, and I have a fairly weak sky signal from a communal flat system.

Go for it - the 5 year warranty isn't to be sniffed at either.

6. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Digger/Deadred/Rich - Thx for the inputs.

I have powerstrip on my PC but it looked lke it might be ATI-only? I could be wrong. The Nvidia tools for the 6800GT card allow similar tweaks to display settings although I suspect that the DVI options are a superset of VGA so there's more chance of getting closer to the 'perfect' picture via DVI compared to VGA.

Any comments on whether the Sharp PQ better/comparable to the Tosh for Scart-DVB/Sky and Component-DVD? Kinda subjective I know but I'm just looking for any gotchas. I assume that the Sharp PQ must be at least on a par with the Tosh otherwise it wouldn't be rated as highly?

Thx

Speaker will be ditched ASAP so I like that feature. It's a 'nice to have'.

7. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As you say, there's no question about the Sharp's DVI performance, so thx for the feedback on the RGB performance for the GA series.

I guess I'm sold on the Sharp. Better make that call to Robert Whyte!!

8. bigmark

bigmark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another sharpster here, denon 1910 through dvi,brilliant

9. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Indeed. There's 12 months interest free on the Sharp at Robert Whyte, so that leaves some virtual money on the table for the Denon 1910. Soooo tempting!!

10. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Stuff, are you using the latest nVidia beta 67.02 drivers? They gave me much better results for DVI compatibility than the previous set.you can add custom resolutions with it too...although not as flexible as Powerstrip which i still need.

11. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thx Digger. I downloaded the latest set of Nvidia drivers before Xmas so I should be up to date. Will let you know how I get on as I've just ordered the the last LC26GA3 from Robert Whyte (Glasgow) - should get it Monday. No GA4's left (or expected) as they're "discontinued", but the speaker will be off after the system's all setup.

There's now a spare Tosh in the Straiton branch of Powerhouse (that's Edinburgh) if anyone's interested ;-)

Cheers

12. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    beta's are better than the latest...or do you mean thats what you have?
    good luck with the sharp!

13. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Digger.

I had the 66.93 drivers so I'm downloading the new 67.02 betas right now. Will let you know how I get on with them. I picked up my GA3E this evening for 899 @ RW and I've managed 1360x768 max with 66.93 via DVI but the pic is not quite perfect yet.

I'll check the other threads as I'm sure I've seen some optimal picture settings.

Cheers

14. advice-needed

advice-needed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just got my sharp on the advice from this forum and it is excellent going to get my denon 1910 through dvi next week.

you will love it!

looks cool to0!

15. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tried DVD-DVI through the PC and 7.1 surround last night and that was excellent. Looking forward to trying the Denon soon!