Quick "Coaxial Cable" Questions!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by El Cheapo DTS, Jan 24, 2005.

1. El Cheapo DTS

El Cheapo DTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys.

I have just started out setting up my "Yamaha AV 50" home cinema system and need an answer PDQ regarding the coaxial input on my receiver.

Basically, do I need a special cable to connect the coaxial output on my DVD player to the coaxial input on my receiver?

The connector looks just like any ordinary phono connection, so would it be okay to use that type of cable or is it not as simple as that?

Many thanks in advance guys.

My apologies if this question has been asked a billion times, I just haven't got the time to search. :(

2. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it will work but probably not sound as good as if you got yourself a half decent 75 ohm digital cable.

have a look HERE £3 upwards.

:smashin:

3. El Cheapo DTS

El Cheapo DTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cheers M&S.

Will I still need to connect the Left + Right audio & Video outputs from my DVD player to the receiver as well?

Thanks again!

4. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can do, some people prefer to listen to cd's using the analog cables, but if you arent fussed and are happy with the digital connection then theres no need. just have a listen and see what you think, it wont harm it. :)

which video connection do you mean?

5. El Cheapo DTS

El Cheapo DTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The yellow phono type connector.

There's the Red/White/Yellow connectors on the rear of the DVD player and the corresponding connectors are on the rear of the receiver.

[​IMG]
    Receiver Connectors

Plus there's also digital coaxial on the rear of the DVD player as well as on the receiver.

Anyhow, I've since had a bit of a play around with it using "Gangs of New York" DVD (which has DTS sound), but I can only get the two front channels to work. I did have all 5 speakers + the sub working at one point, but not now. :(

S'pose I'll just have to RTFM again.

6. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if theres no digital coaxial cable on the back of the dvd player, i assume there is an optical one? if so use that.

as for hooking up the video, it depends on what you are hooking it up to and what connections both units have. i.e. tv with via scart lead from dvd player, or plasma via component leads if both units have them. the yellow composite connection is generally considered to give the worst picture. if you can use scart (rgb) or component then do that as the picture quality will be far better :)

7. El Cheapo DTS

El Cheapo DTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a digital coaxial output on the the DVD player, which I currently have connected to the receiver (using a standard yellow phono lead for the time being). No optical output from the DVD player tho'. :(
    1. Well, at present, the DVD player is set up to output RGB, which is hooked up to the RGB socket on the TV.

2. I also have the Red/White/Yellow audio/video outputs on the DVD player hooked up to the corresponding inputs on the receiver.

3. The digital coaxial output on the DVD player is also hooked up to the corresponding input on the receiver.
    So does that mean I don't need the yellow composite lead connecting the DVD player to the receiver if I am using a scart lead?

Did seem a bit strange having to connect the yellow video lead from the DVD player to the receiver when it then wasn't being output to anything (unless I've got the WEOTS of course).

Still need to :rtfm: I think! ;)

Should really have included this before:
    TV: Samsung 28" CRT
    DVD: Yakumo XL2
    Amp: Yamaha RVX350
    Speakers: Yamaha NSP100

8. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok you dont need to use the yellow connector. scart from the dvd to the telly for the picture. coaxial digital lead from the dvd player into the amp. can you get sound to all the speakers in dolby digital 5.1 or is it just dts? some players have a setting in the menus to turn dts on. also there will be a setting on the amp to tell it what input to use (analog/digital), for this bit you will have to rtfm ;) as im not familiar with your amp, but if its like my yamaha then it will give you a choice of analog/auto/dts. there will be something that lights up on the display to tell you that a digital signal is being fed to the amp.

does that help? :)

9. El Cheapo DTS

El Cheapo DTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!
    I dunno, I'll check later.

I'm pretty sure that when I was playing around with the system last night I did have all the speakers working at some point.
    [​IMG]
    Funny you should say that! I've just been reading thru the DVD manual and noticed a section on audio output. :)
    Yeah! I found that button (Input Mode).
    Yup, it does indeedy!

Many thanks M&S, it's much appreciated!

10. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no worries mate :)

11. El Cheapo DTS

El Cheapo DTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, I still cannot get the DTS or Pro Logic to work properly (no sound at all coming from the speakers in either mode).

The sound I was getting last night was the basic L-R audio from the DVD player to the corresponding audio inputs on the receiver.

At least I've managed to get all the speakers working again (AC3). Just took a bit of tinkering with the individual speaker volumes.

Could it just be that I need a proper digital coaxial cable as opposed to the cheapo yellow-ended phono cable?

I've ordered a digital coaxial cable from the link you gave me :smashin, so I'll just have to wait until it arrives to see how the system sounds. :)

Thanks again for your help M&S.

12. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so the dvd player is set to output dts and you have set the input mode on the amp to dts but still you only get stereo sound? that wont be down to the cable, itll be a setting you have missed somewhere mate.

double check the dvd player menus and the input settings on the amp.

failing that, im really not too sure :)

13. El Cheapo DTS

El Cheapo DTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, this really had me stumped so I took a good look at the rear of the receiver at the digital inputs (2 x optical & 1 x coaxial) and noticed each one had a number beside it.

Took a look at the manual and there in the "I/O Assign" menu section I found the problem. I hadn't assigned the coaxial input to the DVD player. What a muppet eh?

Well, as soon as I assigned the coaxial to the DVD player, I knew I was onto a winner as all the speaker symbols on the front panel of the receiver lit up indicating that a signal was present. :smashin:

I then grabbed a bunch of DVDs from my son's room and played around with LOTR TTT for a while, but couldn't understand why DTS was still not outputting any sound (even though it was working OK in the other formats). That was until I looked on the back of the DVD case to find it wasn't DTS. Doh!

Tried "Pirates of the Caribbean" and it worked! Yes, it worked :D !

These DVD sound formats are a bit confusing, but I think I'm starting to get my head around it a little. ;) Yeah, right!

Thanks again M&S, your input has been really appreciated.

Now I've got the task of working out how to conceal those ugly black speaker wires that run right around the room. :(

14. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats quite funny about lord of the rings :rotfl:

anyway glad you got it sorted. have fun! :smashin: